Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dear George...

George was in a surly mood on this morning's jaunt for coffee.

"It must be nice having a father who takes care of everything," George told me sounding really spiteful. 

"George, you shit.  That is rich coming from you.  Your mother takes care of everything for you.  You don't even have to pay a bill," I replied scoffing. 

George grinned devilishly and asked me if I wanted another refill on my coffee trying to play it off.

I then swung by mom and dad's house.  They were taking down their Christmas decorations.  It made me feel sad.  Often, when I was a child my mother would yank down the decorations a day after Christmas.  It would usually end up in a screaming match between us. 

"You going to take down your tree soon?" dad asked.

"I am keeping it up till after New Years," I replied. 

I came home and sat down on my sofa watching my beautifully lit tree.  "You're not coming down so soon," I mumbled to myself. 

7 comments:

Leann said...

I never take my tree down until after New Years. This year won't be any different, especially since I don't have a real tree. I don't have to worry about the poor thing drying out.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

We leave our wreath up until about New Years too.

justLacey said...

Look at you, standing up for yourself and they blowing it off. A year ago that may have stung for a while. I guess you are all grown up! I am so happy to see you so happy.

Annabel said...

This should make you feel better... last year I didn't take my tree down until spring break. Mine will probably stay up for a while.

Cheryl said...

It's nice to be able to be in control. Yeah for having your tree up for as long as you want. Most people are anxious to clean up. I'd like mine done, but it's so much work.

Summer said...

I leave mine up until January 6th. The end of the 12 days of Christmas and when the wisemen reached Christ.

Portia said...

Oh no! You have given me a new perspective. Poor J cried when we tossed ours out on the 26th. I figured he was just being sensitive, but perhaps we were too hasty. Next year we'll let it linger a bit:)