Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Man of My Own Heart…

“Can I help you?” I asked enthusiastically as a young man walked into my department around midnight.

“I need help!” the young man said with a warm smile. “I want a small LCD television and want to hook up all my televisions and cable Internet in one room using the single cable line coming in from the floor.”

“I can help you with that!” I replied, getting to work.

We walked over to the aisle with all the cables. I got him a five way 2400 MHz cable splitter and plenty of RG-6 shielded cable line – perfect for keeping the integrity of his cable Internet signal.

“What kind of TV are you looking for?” I then asked as we walked over to all the display models.

“Something around 27 inches to 32 inches,” he said. “I don’t mind spending money. I want something nice with high definition capability.”

I explained to him the pros and cons of some of our models and we finally decided on a Sharp 32” model. He was pleased and so was I to be able to help. It is customers like this that make my job a joy – sharing my enthusiasm for all things electronic.

“Can I hook up my iPod to my home theater?” he then asked.

“That is easy!” I replied as we walked back over to the cable aisle and I showed him the cable he needed.

“I can’t wait to get home and get this all hooked up!” he replied with an enthusiasm that warmed my heart.

The sale was over $600 dollars and he put it on his Visa card.

A Moderate Am I…

“What are your political leanings?” Jim asked me tonight as he ate his sandwich at my counter.

I’ve been very obtuse about my politics with regards to Jim – choosing just to stay incognito.

“I am a moderate,” I finally replied.

“Is there even a moderate party?” Jim asked.

“If there are Libertarians, then I am sure there is a moderate party,” I replied.

“Why choose a party that will never get in office?” he asked. “It is a wasted vote.”

“No vote is ever wasted,” was my reply. “I believe in meeting in the middle in compromise. The extremes of our two party system are what is wrong with modern politics in America. We can never come to a consensus.”

I gave Jim much food for thought. He didn’t deride me very much as I was expecting. He is very outspoken and a staunch Republican with extremist leanings so I expected to get an ear full.

“Who did you vote for in the last election?” Jim then asked.

“I voted Democrat. Obama,” I replied. “I had great hopes for Obama changing the country for the better, but so far he has disappointed me. It is politics as usual on Capitol Hill.”

“That’s what you get for voting for a democrat,” Jim blurted with a smirk.

I just sighed and wished we could talk about the weather or work. Anything, but politics.

5am and Another Day of Gathering Carts has Started…

I just walked out to check on George. Mrs. Florene had just dropped him off and he clocked in. He was on his own today – left to his own devices.  He already had a long string of carts at the ready to bring in.

“Is this all there is to this job?” George asked me kind of miffed at the simplicity of the position.

“You aren’t tired of the job already, are you?” I asked warily.

“No,” George replied. “It is just kind of monotonous.”

I laughed. I reveled in the monotony of that job when I had it. I liked that fact that I had the same thing to do everyday with little deviation. It was very ritualistic and I revel in rituals which grok my obsessive compulsive tendencies.

“At least my boss is hot!” George exclaimed with a laugh. “She sure is a looker!”

She is a very pretty woman. I have no doubts that George would have her in bed at a moment’s notice – George having no qualms about such things. I took some solace in that my old supervisor is entirely not interested in George in a sexual manner.  She reserves that for me – with the advances still coming fast and furious. It drives Stacey crazy!

11 comments:

justLacey said...

I have a Sharp Aquos 52" t/v I bought last year and I am very pleased with it. I love that you are working in electronics, you are so good at it.

Syd said...

Glad that you were able to get the fellow hooked up with TV and cables.

I do think that President Obama has done some good things. Health care was a major thing, withdrawal of troops from Iraq is a major thing, and averting a depression is huge. I do agree that discussing politics is a no win. I simply don't do it. Sorry for the little bit mentioned here.

Jenn said...

I knew you'd be a genius at this job!

Tee said...

You are so good at your job! We have a LCD Samsung with rabbit ears (we don't have cable because we are too cheap) and we get all the programs in HD. Our rabbit ears give us a better picture than our friends that have a dish. We were really surprised.

Tell George that job is not as monotonous as prison. Encourage him to work hard, be positive and hopefully he too can get a promotion into a department that will be of more interest to him. You are a prime example of hard work paying great dividends.

I don't blame Stacey about feeling jealous about your ex-supervisor. Her behavior is totally out of order. She shouldn't be hitting on subordinates, or for that matter, peers either.

Jones said...

So good to read your blog these days and see where life has taken you. Very positive! Keep it up, you're doing great.

Thanks for changing the background colour of your blog, so much easier to read.

pattycakes said...

thanks for putting the google link back on lol you are doing so well at your job you really must love it. hope george keeps on working there or else where would he go . seems he forgot already how horrible prison can be , i think he wants all of what he had before .
have a nice day :)

Moohaa said...

I love your joy! You have changed so much over the last year and I am so happy for you.

Those customers are lucky to have you.

:)

LM said...

I want you and George to come up to our WalMart...it would be such fun to be able to visit with you two! Plus you would be able to answer all my computer / electronic questions. Way to go, Jonathon!

amelia said...

It is such a joy to read about your days!! You are just doing so well!!

Lynx217 said...

I haven't posted in a very long time, partly because my PC has been sick then died completely. But I'm back up - FINALLY.
I'm with you on the whole politics thing - completely. I'm independent as a stick, and voted Obama too. I'm a wee disappointed, but he's managed to get a lot done too. You can't fix in two years what took 8 years to destroy. Give it time, friend. God knows we don't need to revert back to what got us in this mess in the first place, that's for sure.

Annabel said...

Guess I'm the other moderate. I really just don't care for politics because I think in general the politicians are not really out for the good of the people they represent.