Friday, September 17, 2010

Sleep Overcome Me!

I just apprehensively drove to my father’s pharmacy feeling it was best to do what I was about to do face to face instead of on the phone. I needed relief and I needed it today. Friday’s are dad’s slow day with a co-pharmacist on duty. Mom says he sits in his office on the Internet and watching TV. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to ask for help in getting some sleep. The Ambien is just not working any longer and my Klonopin are like taking a placebo.

“Dad?” I asked as we walked out into the pharmacy away from the busy counter. “Do you have any thing over the counter I can take for sleep?”

“We both know you can’t take Benadryl,” dad replied as we surveyed all our options where the OTC medications are kept. “You’ve have addiction issues with it in the past. Tylenol PM and Advil PM all have Benadryl in them as the active sleep ingredient. 25mg of it.”

For years, dad gave me six Benadryl per night during our medication ritual. I would take all six and go to bed. It certainly did knock me out, but I don’t think taking six Benadryl at a time is such a good idea and not my most smartest of moments over the years.

“Let’s give you two Percogesic and take some Tylenol and aspirin,” dad finally said. “Now, the Percogesic is going to knock you out. Don’t take them and drive.”

I thanked dad profusely and gave him a hug. I would just about do anything for a full day’s sleep including going against my best inclinations and asking dad for help. Let’s hope the Percogesic do the trick.

Macaroni and Cheese Time…

I left the pharmacy and stopped by mom and dad’s to get my six diet Cokes for the day to put in the fridge for tonight at work. Helen was sitting out on the porch and drinking her a soda. It is Helen Fridays and i was anxious to find out just what Helen was cooking today.

“Your father surprised me,” Helen told me. “He wanted meat loaf, macaroni and cheese, fried okra, field peas and biscuits.”

Oh, my stomach started to grumble. I couldn’t wait for today’s meal to be ready this afternoon. Helen’s meat loaf and macaroni and cheese are divine!

“Tell mom not to wake me up!” I told Helen profusely. “Tell her I will pick up my plate when I wake up this afternoon.”

“I sure will, baby,” Helen replied. “Well, Mr. John will be home at three to eat so I better get cooking.”

Helen gave me a hug and told me to go home and get some good sleep. She said she would be thinking about me today. I told her I loved her and left to take my medications and go to bed. It is time to snuggle with my pups and go to sleep – the Percogesic I took thirty minutes ago already taking affect. I am about so sleepy I can barely stay awake.

5 comments:

Syd said...

Have a good rest. Have you ever had a sleep study to determine if you have apnea?

Leigh Ann said...

I hope you get some good sleep. I was wondering if it was possible that the caffeine from the sodas you started drinking again is affecting your ability to sleep? Just a thought.

glittermom said...

I think the change in your sleep pattern from nights to days might be the problem...It will take a while for your system to get use to sleeping days and working nights..Dont rely on sleeping aids all the time..they can be pretty addictive..Even over the counter aids..I thought I couldnt sleep without taking Advil PM...You get use to taking something and then you think you cant sleep without it...Good luck with getting some sleep...eventually it will work out.

Tee said...

I've found I need something about every two or three nights in order to sleep. I don't know why some nights I have no problem going to sleep and others I just can't sleep at all. It strange. I hope you got a good days sleep.

Sounds like you have been making some really good decisions for yourself. I hate that Stacy is so self-centered that she doesn't realize you are making a new life for yourself. You need to take care of yourself and don't overload your plate. If it's meant to be you two will get back together. In the meantime, enjoy the peace you have in your life and you new job.

I heard about Walmart offering the cell phone plans. I need to check those out, because they are cheaper than our current provider. I'm one of those frugal, technically challenged people.

justLacey said...

Why would you need the Tylenol and aspirin with the Percogesic? That should have been enough on it's own unless you couldn't sleep because you were having some sort of pain. You are going to have to learn to schedule your sleep. Mom will need to adjust her schedule some too to allow you to sleep when you need to. I think all that will be easier now with Stacey out of the picture. Too many fish in the pond.