Thursday, September 02, 2010

Climbing the Rungs of the Ladder…

“I hated to do this,” my supervisor said this morning solemnly after she had arrived at seven. “But there is an opening for a nightshift associate in electronics.  Derrick and his supervisor both think you would be the perfect fit.  I recommended the position for you to my big boss this morning. I am going to miss you.  You have been a joy to work with.”

I didn’t know what to say.  I love my current job.  Thoughts started to cascade through my brain of all the extra responsibility and working with the public for a change.

“What are the details of the job?” I asked my supervisor wanting to know about hours, benefits and pay.

“Your first full night would be Sunday night working from 11pm to 7am in the morning.  They are going to train you during the day on Friday and Saturday.  You would be the sole person working the counter for the night.  It would mean several more dollars per hour as you will now be an associate.  You would now have full benefits and 401K.”

My supervisor could see I was very visibly conflicted about taking the job.

“I would love to see you stay with me, but I think it is the perfect opportunity for you.  You deserve it. You have worked very hard for me. Take the job. I started out as an associate and worked my way up to supervisor and you could too.”

I thought for a long moment before I told her I would take the job.  This is going to be very interesting.  I love electronics and spend all my free time at work hanging out there helping customers and talking to Derrick about all things gadget, cellphone, TV and computer related.  I know my stuff as far as the department goes.  I am excited and conflicted at the same time.  I am just going to do my best and not let this opportunity pass me by.  Social anxiety be damned!

Saying Goodbye to Digital Cable and HDTV…

I just don’t watch much TV these days and the channels I do watch are in the “basic” lineup offered by my cable company.  I thought I would enjoy HDTV, but it is just an expensive gimmick in my opinion.  I’ve been trying to get up the courage to call my cable company and cancel digital TV and take back my DVR and cable box, but my phone phobias have been getting the better of me these days.  I called dad last night and told him to cancel them for me as I just couldn’t do it myself.

“Thank you,” he said. “Your cable bill is running a $100 dollars a month and the pharmacy is paying for it.  I had your account on my business plan along with Charlie’s accounts and my home account.”

“I just don’t watch all those channels,” I told dad. “It is a waste of money.”

“I was going to say something to you about it, but I didn’t want to upset you.  I was keeping the peace.”

“Just put me on basic cable, tell them to come pick up the DVR and let me keep my fast Internet and I will be happy,” I replied.

“Sounds like a good plan,” dad said. “You are thinking good for a change.”

I will probably miss it once it is gone, but the only digital channel I watched was WeatherNow and it has been consistently broken for months now making it practically worthless.

Travels with Mom and Supper with Stacey…

I had one lawn to mow yesterday from a call I got the other day.  He was a very nice elderly man with a medium sized yard that only took me 30 minutes to mow.  He paid me and I loaded up my mower on my trailer and headed home to take a nap.  It would be awhile before Stacey would be off of work and I had time to kill before getting supper ready.  It was the perfect opportunity to curl up with my pups and grab some sleep. 

I hadn’t been asleep for long when there was a knock on the door.  It was mom wanting to go for our daily drive down through the Valley.  She had just been grocery shopping and to the hairdressers. 

“Let me see your face,” mom said worriedly of my abscessed molar as I turned to look at her. “Good! The swelling  has gone down.  I called your father to call the dentist to get you more antibiotics.  The dentist is going to start you on a Z-Pak and then wants to pull that wisdom tooth.”

I didn’t argue about getting the tooth pulled.  I just hope Medicare will pay for part of the cost.  Mom had been by dad’s pharmacy before she drove to my house and had two diet Cokes for me at the ready to drink as a treat.  These kinds of things mom will do, dad would never think of.  I appreciated it very much.  Mom always pays careful attention to the details.  We were on our way down through the Valley to talk and enjoy each other’s company.

I arrived home to find Stacey’s Eclipse parked out in front of my house.  I was excited to see her.

“Your home theater is entirely too complicated to operate,” she told me, throwing problems on me as soon as I walked in the door. “I can’t figure out how to turn on the sound to your TV!”

I walked over to my entertainment center and pushed the on button on my theater receiver and instantly there was surround sound. Stacey glared at me saying she had been trying for thirty minutes to figure out how to turn on the sound.

I then got supper started.  I put mom’s tangy chicken in the oven and started to steam some rice and broccoli on the stove. I also made homemade biscuits last night using Mrs. Florene’s recipe. They were delicious.

The evening ended as Stacey left to allow me to go to bed at 7:30pm.  I took my Ambien and a Klonopin at seven and was soon so sleepy I could barely stay awake.  I ate one more tangy chicken breast and a few biscuits and retired to bed thus ending my day.   

13 comments:

impromptublogger said...

Wow -congrats on your promotion!!! It sounds like a great fit for you in the department you love! But the hours do kinda suck...

You shouldn't fool around with teeth infections - they can spread to other places if not taken care of in time or cause permanent damage.

glittermom said...

Hope you enjoy your new job, let us know how the switch to night shift works out...Stacy probably wont like it much...make sure and get plenty of sleep sometime before starting your shift..I'm sure if you dont like it you can always have your cart job back...

Sharon said...

Congratulations on the promotion! I know you aren't fond of those hours, but there are good parts of it. For one thing you won't have to worry anymore about that supervisor making advances. Secondly, you'll have plenty of TV's there and maybe you can watch the weather channel. Thirdly, with winter coming and the cold weather, you won't have to be outside gathering carts in the cold. So there are definite pluses for you.

Dana said...

I did the same thing last week, changing from the mega-lineup of channels I got with Dish Network back to the 'basic' cable thing... for me it was a financial decision that had to be made. I miss only a few of the gazillion channels (The Documentary Channel!), and I really will miss the DVR perk. Oh well, easy come easy go. Economically good times will come around again for my family as they have before. How wonderful for you to receive a compliment from your dad about 'thinking good for a change'!! Mmmmm homemade biscuits... I might have to make some myself this weekend!

justLacey said...

I think those hours will be a great start for you, you were often up at night anyway and there will be less people to deal with until you figure out if you like it or not. I think electronics will be a great place for you. You know so much about it and most people that walk in could use your expertise. Also, if/when you get off of disability the extra money will be nice for you as well as you being able to save up some now for that day.
My how far we have come!!!! Congrats.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

WOW! This promotion is just another perfect piece to this puzzle of your life! That late at night, maybe the social end of it won't be that busy.

You know the subject so well that it will be really easy for you to discuss. No unknown topics there!

As someone said earlier, if it really doesn't suit you it should be easy to return to your carts!

Health insurance kicking in just as you were being concerned about getting off of SSD! Pretty well perfect timing.

And a 401K that (I hope) the company will be donating some toward! You could put a little bit of your raise into that and have a great start on a retirement fund!

Now - tell us the truth - we know how to keep a secret - did you find a 4-leaf clover? fairy godmother? rabbits foot? there's just gotta be some miracle good luck charm hovering around you! Either that, or hard work, great planning and believing in yourself sure does pay off!

You should be SO proud of what you have accomplished in such a short period of time!

Congratulations my friend!
Grannie

Syd said...

Sounds like you will be a natural for the electronics dept. I think the night shift is good. Many congrats on the promotion.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I think you may find working in electronics very rewarding! Perhaps just to hedge your bets a bit in case you *do not* like it, ask your current supervisor that if you find it is not a good fit for you, that you can be assurred of going back to your prior job. That way you will have a cushion that will likely ease any anxieties you may have about the transition... and in effect, make it more probable you will have an excellent transition!

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Tee said...

CONGRATS!!! That new job is perfect for you! You will be a natural with all you knowledge. The good part is the shift and there probably won't be as many customers during those hours. It will give you time to adjust to interacting with customers. This is really exciting. I agree with Pipe, just make sure if you don't like it you can return to your other job. I'm sure your supervisor would love you have you back. AND benefits that's even better.

I just wanted to report that I made Helen's Pimento Cheese today and my husband LOVED it. He says she needs to patent it. It was delicious. I did add some chopped stuffed olives and used Hellmann's mayo. I haven't been able to find a small jar of Blueplate to do the taste test. I'm too cheap to buy a regular size jar just for a taste test. LOL.

Moonroot said...

Congratulations on your new job!

Ariel said...

Congratulations on your promotion!!! That's awesome and when you get off disability you'll have benefits and everything! Yay for you!

geelizzie said...

A Big WOW on your promotion, that is wonderful! Look how far you have come in such a short time! I worked an overnight shift at walmart doing stocking and working the cash office for about 8 months, and while it was nice because we weren't open all night and no customers, it was difficult to get enough sleep and I was always exhausted and really cranky. Hopefully you will be able to get enough sleep during the day, I'm assuming the ambien will help with any issues there.
I'm sure the night shift will be okay with your anxieties, there couldn't be that many people shopping in the middle of the night for a new TV! I really hope you do well.

LDAlvarez said...

A big congratulations on the job promotion! Being indoors this winter will be nice too.

I only have basic cable too, I rarely watch TV. Weather and news is about it.

I have this big smile everyday after reading your blog Jonathon. :-)