Monday, April 22, 2019

Who Ya Gonna Call?

Dad’s Honda CR-V wouldn’t crank this morning so obviously he calls me.

“I can’t get it out of gear to push it out of the garage so we can jump it off,” he told me sounding very cranky and worried.

I arrived at his house armed with a flat head screwdriver knowing what to do to get the transmission in neutral and got to work. We got it in neutral and pushed the car out of the garage and then I jumped his car off.

“You’re a genius,” dad told me very happily. “If I would’ve towed it to the shop, they would’ve told me I needed a new battery or possibly a new alternator.”

“That’s an Interstate battery,” I told him pointing to the glaringly bright green and white battery. “They are awesome batteries. It should last you through hell or high water.”

We got in the car and I immediately noticed what was draining the battery. Both of his map lights were on. I showed dad what was wrong and we turned them off.

We drove around town for a long time to charge the battery and just talked. I love the way my and my father’s relationship is now. It’s like we are just buddies shooting the shit like George and I used to.

We rode out to West Point Dam and they had all six flood gates open due to all the recent rain we have received.

“Let’s stop by the river house and check the river level,” dad told me.

Luckily, the river wasn’t over its banks, but the water was very swiftly flowing.  Dad took me on a tour of the river house and it is just gorgeous. I can see now why he wants to move there. It seemed much bigger than what my memory served me.

No comments: