Wednesday, November 17, 2004

A blast of heat

It hit me as I opened the door. A blast of heat emanated from the door as I opened it actually causing the night time air to shiver and wave around me as if I was looking across a scorching desert landscape. I had driven over to my friend Chad’s house to deliver that computer I put together for him. I had just arrived home.

Upon walking upstairs my fears were confirmed. They had the thermostat set on 82 degrees. 28 degrees for you Canadians, eh? I normally only use a small efficient gas heater in my little apartment in the basement and it is very cost effective. I am apt to just put on a sweater or fleece pull over and like my apartment to be cool. I do have central heating and air but it heats the whole, large house and I never turn it on. I could picture the gas meter needle spinning around wildly in a circle as my monthly budget goes to hell. I have to keep in mind that there are three very elderly people staying with me tonight and their comfort levels are very different from mine. But 82 degrees? Don’t you think 76 or 78 are a little more reasonable? Sigh, oh well, they will only be here for a few more days and hopefully my gas bill will not be skyrocket high.

I managed to get us up a good supper though. I had the good fortune of a large pot of dried black eyed peas soaking in the fridge. I was going to cook them and freeze them in individual freezer bags. I cooked those and made some meatloaf via a tried and true recipe from the Baptist Bounty cookbook. I also made some mashed potatoes and a pan of cornbread. Everyone seemed pleased and Bob even ate thirds.

Hopefully, my visitors are now blissfully asleep. I think I still hear the dull drone of the TV upstairs though. Maybe they went to bed and left it on. I am tired and think a nice hot shower and a few chapters of a good book are in order. I think I will even smoke my pipe inside tonight. Hell, its hot enough in here that the tobacco may just ignite without using a lighter. I am going now to close off those vents and get it cool in here before bed. Good night.

No comments: