Wednesday, November 17, 2004

My Great Auntie Myrtis

(Just some daily rambling here today)

I had a visitor last night. My great aunt came and spent the night with me. I had to take her to the ophthalmologist this morning and then go order her some new glasses. She lost her old pair. Those responsibilities are taken care of and she is now sleeping away the afternoon upstairs. She has elevated pressure in her right eye and will have to put in drops three times a day. This is going to be interesting. I watched as she tried the drops but she couldn’t get them in her eye. Her hands shake too badly and it, nine times out of ten, lands on her cheek. She lives 45 minutes away from me in another town so it’s not like I can just hop in the car and go put them in. I couldn’t afford the gas and I doubt she would pay me to do it. Besides, it would be hundreds of miles a week and my old car would most likely disintegrate on the roadway. I am keeping the thing running and together with duct tape and bubble gum.

I realize I am going to have to hire someone to come by everyday and put in the drops. I will do some calling around to some family friends and see if I can procure somebody. My aunt will not want to pay them and has already argued with me about it. I told her she will loose the eye if she doesn’t get serious and put those drops in. That quelled her protests for the time being. The main problem is that she is cantankerous and ornery and most people actively choose to avoid her. You run the risk of getting accused of various sundries if you hang around too much and our family friends shy away from her. Good thing money talks and people listen. That is the only way someone would come and see about this for me. I hate calling people on the phone though and asking for favors. It makes me uncomfortable but I have to do what I have to do.

No comments: