Monday, November 15, 2004

Work Place Politics

This is one of my major concerns about going back to work. I know I am jumping ahead and do not even have a degree yet but I am thinking about these issues. I saw this personal code of conduct in the workplace and wanted to share it. I found it on the New Social Worker forums. Some of these would be wise to implement in any work setting.

(When I worked at the University as a research technician, the work place politics baffled me. I now think that I would still have that job if I followed some of these guidelines.)

1. Never talk about any colleague in any way ...no buts, complaints, compliments, nothing.

2. Never "play along" with someone else who talks about a colleague. Don't agree, disagree, or anything. If they are complaining about, criticizing, or otherwise demeaning the person, ask if they have documented evidence. If they say "no", tell them you don't want to hear it. If they say "yes" then tell them they need to take the action they feel is appropriate. (Judgment call on whether you should support them in follow up, keeping in mind that you don't have the documentation or know if it is valid.)

3. Always follow up on concerns over ethical issues. When I have genuine, documented concern, I take it to the appropriate person (which, may or may not be the person I am concerned about). Often, this can be clarified and shown as reasonable.

4. Always remember that the client is number one. Their safety comes before my comfort. This does not mean to jump into someone else’s intervention!

5. Always consider what others tell you as confidential...unless they say, specifically, that it is not. Even when they do state that it isn't, lean on the side of caution and consider it confidential. Their tales are their tales.

6. My colleagues are not my best friends. My close friends are drawn from my Church/Mosque/Clan and my neighborhood. I appreciate colleagues on a different level.

No comments: