Monday, November 22, 2004

Writing about memories past…..

I have often spoken derogatorily about my ex-wife in the past. She caused me great heartbreak and I felt she abandoned me when I became very ill. I would have driven across the country and spent my last savings to see that she got the help she needed if she were ill. The wedding vow “in sickness and in health” echoes in my thoughts when I dwell on this matter.

I was thinking just a moment ago. What if I dwell on the good moments and write about them sometimes? We had some very good times and those are the things I should dwell on. I will always feel a certain kindness towards her despite my consternation when it concerns her. My dream is that I would someday become very wealthy and take care of her monetarily. I would never want to live with her again or be her husband but I would like to make sure she was always taken care of and had a good home, good food, and a good car.

Here is something I wrote this afternoon reminiscing about some of those good moments:

It had been a long day. The wedding went well but I was dead tired. There were so many people and so many to greet, shake hands with, and to welcome at the following reception. The time had come for us to make our departure and leave. Everyone stood outside with rice bags in hand as my father’s BMW waited under the portico of the church.

“Are you ready to get on a train?” I asked Rachel quietly standing at the door.

“I am SO ready for me and you to be alone.” She replied.

We walked outside and everyone cheered and threw their rice. We waved to everyone and quickly ran towards and climbed into the car with Charlie already in the driver’s seat.

“You two love birds ready to get on a train and start your honeymoon?” Charlie said as he grinned looking over his shoulder.

“Mr. Chauffeur, drive away!” I said goodheartedly.

My father had bought us train trip and vacation to Washington DC for our honeymoon.

We drove up to Atlanta and boarded the train at the Amtrak station. Before long, we were on our way and the train started to roll. It had become very dark and we were both very tired. We had a private room on an Amtrak sleepliner and were glad to have some privacy. Our little room was small but had two small bunk beds and a sink and toilet. I was just exhausted and climbed into the top bunk after putting on my pajamas. I could hear Rachel moving around and getting ready for bed and she turned off the lights. She was really grunting and making a lot of noise.

“What in the hell are you doing down there?” I asked as I laughed.

“Oh, just something.” She said.

“You sound as if you are in a straight jacket and are trying to get out.” I said and I could hear her laugh at what I said.

I lay back down and tried to go to sleep. The rocking of the train and the clickety clack of the rails was hypnotizing and I become so drowsy and had almost nodded off.

“Jonathon?” Rachel asked.

I didn’t answer. I was almost asleep.

“Jonathon!” Rachel said loudly to wake me up.

“What.” I mumbled

“Roll over and look down here for a moment.” Rachel said as she turned on the little light above her bunk.

I looked over the edge to find her in a drop dead see through negligee lying on her back.

“You didn’t think we wouldn’t consummate our marriage night did you?” She asked.

How with both fit on that little bunk and made love I will never know but we did. It was one of the most special times of intimacy I have ever had. We ended up sleeping the rest of night together on that cramped little bunk but slept in each other’s arms. We arrived in the morning to beautiful Washington DC and began our honeymoon.

2 comments:

Gr0undzer0 said...

A cricket that not only chirps but sings..

I guess I would consider my self the romantic type.. I enjoyed this.. Immensely.

Your writing style is eloquent but just familiar enough to be realistic. I like this story and I think we all look back on moments like this from time to time.

I'm amazed at how this is put together. Real or not I have never been able to put together well written stories. Poetry is my specialty.

There are times I miss with all my x's but that one seemed so gentle, honest, sweet, and full of love. I haven't had one of those.. in years.Thanks for inspiring to make me look back a moment. A remember my innocence.. with an innocent girl. Thanks again.

Amy H said...

I'm glad that you posted this. It's hard to see the good in people that have hurt us, but it's worth it for us to look for it. After all, we're the ones carrying unnecessary "stuff" otherwise.