Sunday, November 28, 2004

Thanksgiving gave me a weird vibe…..

I had a nice thanksgiving but I couldn’t help but feel guilty. We had a traditional thanksgiving meal at my parent’s house. Our family friends pitched in and brought us all the food as my father is still recovering. My mother is not allowed to cook. We had two turkeys (one smoked, one deep fried), a humongous pan of dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, etc. I sat in the living room with the smell of all that wonderful food infiltrating my nostrils and listening to my family members cajole and converse. It felt good to be home and to be accepted again. It was like old times.

I also couldn’t help but feel guilty in a way. There were a lot of people this holiday that had to do without or who had to rely on others for their well being. Here I was with all this good food and good company. I watched football on television. I and my brother in law talked a long time about college football and the upcoming bowl games. Everything was right in my world but terribly wrong for many in other parts of the world outside my little life. I thought about those people and hoped that they found some comfort these holidays.

Something else that miffed me was the mad scramble after thanksgiving to shop. In subsequent years I had never given it much thought. I did always know it would be foolish to try and participate in such craziness though. I saw in the news reports of people lined up for blocks just to enter stores to shop. People scrambling down store aisles as if they were on speed or crack grabbing at items off the shelves as if this was their last chance to obtain material things. The whole affair kind of put this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Was all of this necessary? And when did a holiday about being thankful for the good things we have get turned into some materialistic mosh pit?

One thing I have learned from my hardships I experienced this year is that the simple things are the things I am most thankful of. I drew up a list the other day of the things I am most thankful for to illustrate:

1) Three square meals a day.
2) Warmth on a cold morning or day.
3) Shelter on a rainy or stormy day.
4) A warm, DRY bed.
5) My beat up but beloved old truck.
6) My sobriety.
7) My family, especially my crotchety old father.
8) The internet and my two computers.

These are all the things I need to be happy. I don’t need expensive cars or huge houses. I don’t need to shop till I drop on the day after thanksgiving. I don’t need, many times, useless material things to make me happy. I am thankful for the simple little things in my life and they make me feel fulfilled.

I am not trying to say that it is not okay to have nice things if you can afford them. If you work hard and want something nice then I believe it is okay to treat yourself (think moderation though and not the crazy crap I witnessed on TV the day after thanksgiving). I am just trying to get across my own view that the little things in life can make you most happy. I have met many people in my life with great material wealth and poor emotional health. I have just learned a new way of living and new found joy and wanted to share it. For the first time in my life I am happy and I am also dirt poor! lol It is kind of strange to say that but it is true. I have learned the great value of the simplest things that life can offer. If there is one lesson I have learned in life that is most important then I think this is the one. I hope you’ve all had a good holiday and that your families are well.

No comments: