Thursday, November 04, 2004

Having responsibility thrust upon you

Today was a strange day. I awoke at 6 AM and my father picked me up at 6:30 AM to go with him to the hospital. My father went for a routine heart checkup after a negative stress test and he now has to have quadruple bypass open heart surgery on Monday. He has not had any negative symptoms and seems to be in good health for his age of 58. He has 95% blockage in one of his arteries and over 55% in the remaining three. This came as a complete shock to me, my family, and all our friends. The doctor said he would have had a heart attack within 6 months time if this blockage was not caught and remedied.

My brother is a medical officer and a physician at the naval medical center in San Diego California. My sister is completing her residency in the ER as a physician at The University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center. They both have no way of getting off or coming home as their schedules and responsibilities are grueling and relentless. My mother can barely get out of the bed or feed herself so this leaves the majority of things up to me. I am going to do my best and do what I can.

I sat down at the hospital for most of the day as they ran tests and x-rays then drove dad home. I ran by his business and filled his prescriptions after we left. Dad managed to secure a stand in pharmacist for two days a week to help his assistant pharmacist which made both of us feel much better. He is going to have to be off for over a month. He has never been off for more than a week in 32 years of owning his business. He is deeply concerned and this does not help the situation. He has rarely been to the doctor in his life and has always shied away from them. Now, he has to have major open heart surgery.

I ask for your thoughts and concerns in this matter. I hope that things go well in the surgery Monday. My father is a hard ass but is also the Rock of Gibraltar in my family. We all rely on him for support in many ways both mentally, physically, and emotionally. I shudder to think what would happen if dad succumbed. Things would be in chaos as my mother cannot even write checks or even knows anything of their financial affairs. He has a 99% chance of success and recovery and I do hope all goes well. I will step up and do my part to see that everything is taken care of and seen about. He has busted his ass for over 35 years professionally and now it is time for him to take a break. I am not a religious man but if you are so inclined your prayers would be welcome.

No comments: