Friday, November 26, 2004

A meetings end……..

I went to AA tonight. The usual cast of characters was there. I enjoyed hearing what a few people had to say. I did not speak tonight as I just wanted to listen and I just sat there and drank my coffee and constantly shifted my legs from crossed to uncrossed and watched the clock on the wall.

Much of what people say is always the same regurgitated AA propaganda. I am of the serious opinion that AA is a cult and some of these people are completely brainwashed but I do enjoy going for the camaraderie. It also helps me fell not so along when I am having a hard time. There are certain things in AA they have become mantras for the members such as…..

1) Take it one day at a time.
2) This too shall pass.
3) Principles over
personalities.
4) Live and let live.
5) Don’t pick up that first drink.
6) The big book is mentioned often as well. I call it the AA bible.

These lines are constantly spoken and it sometimes gets old. Some people often speak just to hear themselves speak and they say the same things every time. I find myself zoning out and daydreaming when certain old timers get on their soapboxes and begin to preach. I enjoy hearing about people’s everyday struggles and the ways they find to help them get through the desire to drink. I do not enjoy the endless AA propaganda that some seem to spout on a regular basis.

We have this particular little old lady who comes on a very frequent basis. I find her highly amusing and I get the vive that she gets on the other member’s nerves. She never talks about the night’s subject of discussion. She always goes off on long rants about what her cats and dogs are doing. Sometimes these rants and tales last for ten minutes or more. Apparently she is an eccentric old lady that has a home full of cat and dogs. Everyone is too kind to say anything and they put up with as she is a sweet little old lady.

Well, enough of me rambling. Sorry I don’t have much to write about tonight. I am having a bout of writers blog and they day has pretty much been uneventful. Now, I just need to figure out what I am going to do till bed time. I need to wash my dishes in the sink but that thought is unappealing. I also need to go fold and put up all my laundry. Nah, those things can wait till tomorrow. I am going to have a “does nothing” night tonight. :^)

No comments: