Saturday, October 18, 2008

Peddling Drugs...

One of the girls called in sick this morning and I had to go into work on a Saturday.  I manned a register and checked people out.  We have a new system were everyone must sign on an electronic pad for their prescriptions.  It is rather convoluted.  

"You sure are groggy this morning," dad said when I first walked in.

"It is my medications," I told him.

He smelled my breath for alcohol anyway.

It took till noon for my grogginess to wear off.  The empty chair in front of the store looked so inviting for nap.   I was really dragging my feet today.  I felt better, though.  Better than I have all week and was pleased to be able to have something to do that was productive.

As I was leaving to escape to my car, dad grabbed my shoulder and said, "Your utility bill was only $125 this month.  I am very proud of you for keeping costs down."  I beamed with pride.  As old as I am, anything positive as in a positive affirmation from my father means so much to me.    

12 comments:

justLacey said...

You did so well being able to man the register with your social anxieties. I'm proud of all you have accomplished, aren't you?

mosiacmind said...

WOW how great is it that your dad trusts you to be a cashier! I am glad that it went alright. I know that even at my age when I get a compliment from mom it means much....unless I am spiraling down and then my brain takes it as a put down to all the things I have done wrong and now I did something right....the brain sure can be strange at times. Hope that you have a good rest of the weekend.

mosiacmind said...

also it is great that you were able to be a cashier and deal with people. i really hope that you let yourself unwind the rest of today and perhaps read some magazines or work on your models or listen to the radio and that you can reflect on how you helped your dad and often do these days and he is trusting you more and more.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

sounds like a nice day for you!!
Fabulous!!

E~

jrlmx2 said...

I, too, know how wonderful it is (even over age 50!) to get a compliment, or some affirmation from one of my parents. It still matters!!
Andrew, I'm noticing how well you're doing these days and also how close you're getting to 365 days on your counter. Congratulations!

Cheryl said...

You've come a long way, manning the cash register. Even a convoluted one.

Happy Sunday!

impromptublogger said...

Our pharmacy has the same thing - has to do with the HIPAA (health info privacy) laws. Great job since I know it adds an extra layer to the job.

OMG - it is almost a year now for you! I hope you shout it out to the world and especially to your Dad!

Kelly Jene said...

Alright! Look at you getting in there and staying busy. That's great. I think everyone needs affirmations.. from parents, spouses, friends. It keeps us going.

Eric said...

Lowering expenses, facing social anxieties,and a sobriety counter that is over 330 days...AWESOME!





goinggreenaccidently.blogspot.com

Tee said...

You are doing well, my friend! Stepping in to help when an employee is out, and keeping those utility bills down. Tell us how you do it.

anonymous said...

"He smelled my breath for alcohol anyway."

If I were you Andrew, I'd eat a lot of garlic and stinky cheeses and fish.

Mariam said...

That sounds like the perfect employee, how can you do it really?!

It's good to make your dad proud of you, making someone proud especially your parents gives you a push forward and motivates you to be always a better person:)