Friday, October 31, 2008

Horror of Horrors...

I had my first anxiety attack at work yesterday.  I quickly escaped to the store's basement and lay down on an old hospital bed where it was dark and quiet.  Veronica came down to check on me.

"Is this part of your mental illness?" she asked me.

"Yeah," I replied. "I will be better in about thirty minutes."

When I wanted to work for McDonald's, this was my biggest fear.  That I would have one of these around lots of people with no where to lie down.  Luckily, my father is much more forgiving of this.

******  

I'm off today and was sleeping in. I was half asleep when Helen let herself in. 

"God! It is freezing in here!" I heard her exclaim as she went straight to my thermostat to turn up the heat.  I quickly pulled on some clothes to see if she needed help carrying in the groceries.  She didn't. 

"What's for supper?" I asked inquisitively. 

"It is a surprise, baby," she replied with a grin. 

No doubt, It will be something fried and I am not complaining.  What is it about southern cooking were everything is fried?  I did see a box of frozen broccoli in Helen's grocery bag. 

9 comments:

Kelly Jene said...

I'm glad your job has a safe place for you. While we can always hope you won't have the panic attacks, knowing that you have a place to hide away to wait it out is a relief.

Take care and as always, enjoy Helen's cooking!

Jami said...

I have to say, I just love Helen. Everyone needs a Helen in their lives. She sounds so wonderful!

Cheryl said...

I'm sorry that anxiety reared it's ugly head. You dealt with it. Done. I guess it happens sometimes. You were able to handle it, and you will the next time too. Be strong.

Tell Helen we're jealous.

Eric said...

Hey, this is the South, so even broccoli can be fried...:D


www.goinggreenaccidently.blogspot.com

justLacey said...

The fact that you did alright with your anxiety is a good thing. I used to have them at work and have to leave, but the more I had the less I was ablt to. I also found that being around people helped make it through them by distraction. Hopefully you will be able to do the same.

simonsays said...

So, what WAS for dinner? I would love to have Helen's southern fried cooking, anytime she wants a road trip, just let me know. :)

I'm sorry you had a bad spell, but it sounds like you got it under control quickly. You do so great Andrew...

Have a happy weekend.

:)

Summer said...

I'm sorry about the spell. But.. I find it amazing that you recognize it and are able to deal with it effectively and successfully.

Why are you keeping me in suspense about dinner?

Lou said...

I'm glad to know one can deal with an anxiety attack that way. I'm going to pass that along to my son.

Leann said...

Helen takes such good care of you. It must be comforting to know she's around.