Wednesday, June 04, 2008

College Aged AA...

I drove the long drive at lunch for a morning AA meeting.  It was a small meeting filled mostly with college aged kids.  I felt at home.  I marveled at how young these kids looked, and to top that with an addiction to alcohol.  I wistfully thought of how different my life would have been if I had embraced Alcoholics Anonymous at such an early age.  I was almost jealous of these shiny, happy persons.

I had a $50 dollar gift card to Red Lobster.  I enjoyed the fried shrimp and garlic mashed potatoes.  I even splurged and got a piece of strawberry cheesecake.  It was fun people watching as I ate and read a USA Today newspaper.  I was in my element. 

"Can I get you a mixed drink as a starter?" my Asian waitress asked in broken English.

"No thanks," I replied with a warm smile.

Six months ago, I would have said yes and drove home from the restaurant buzzed.  Through AA's help, I could say no today and feel good about it.  Although, a margarita would be mightily tempting.   

10 comments:

justLacey said...

Sounds like a good day. I bet you have enough for another meal still right? Something to look forward to.

mosiacmind said...

Good for you to go to the meeting. I am glad that you treated yourself too....i know some of those drinks sound good but good for you for knowing what is best for you and not drinking.

Moonroot said...

Sounds like you had a good day. And well done for turning down the drink!

Kelly Jene said...

I've never been to Red Lobster before. Sounds good though! I'm so proud of you! 3 more days to the big 200!!

Leann said...

Kudos to you Andrew!

Jami said...

Excellent, Andrew! Remember, always, how good it feels to exercise that kind of judgment ... and build on it.

Cheryl said...

This is the first I've heard you talk about a meeting with young people. That must have had a completely different feel to it. Will you go back to that one? Smart kids for seeking out AA early on.

I thought about you with our weather today. We had a wicked storm.

Did you eat alone at Red Lobster??

CRUSTYBEEF said...

it sounds like you had a nice time! I love the biscuits that they set you with prior to your meal..schlurp!

Elizabeth :)

jrlmx2 said...

so proud of you, Andrew..... 6 months is a really long time. I always knew you could do it!

PipeTobacco said...

Hello Sir:

I would have likely spent all the money on libations as I am not fond of seafood.

Seriously though... it has been so long since I have visited a Red Lobster, *do* they have any sort of main course that is NOT seafood based?

PipeTobacco