Monday, June 30, 2008

Think you can!

"I can't make it," Wanda said after our morning AA meeting.  "I fear tonight I will end up drunk."

"If I can go this long then anyone can stay sober," I told her as we walked to our cars hoping it would help.

It is times likes these in AA that you have to reach out for support and help.  We've all been there and done that.  I can't count on both hands how many times and opportunities I've had to get drunk. The program of AA is like a complete reprogramming of a persons personality and thoughts.  One could argue it is a cult. 

After I made sure Wanda was okay, I was bursting at the seams to find out about my new computer.

"We ordered it," Dad said over the phone. "Should be here in a few days."

I was elated.  I could never afford such a nice computer without the help of my father.   I can't wait to get it home, un-box it, and set everything up.  I will be nice to finally have a reliable computer for a change. 

13 comments:

ac said...

I am smiling for you! :-)

mosiacmind said...

yeah i am exited for you about your computer. i will be eager to hear all about it. it is good that wanda got to a meeting and hoping that she will continue to go to meetings. it can be hard as you know. it would be good if we lived closer to each other and the blogging buddies so when you get a year we could throw you a big party. some people think of it like a birthday. i hope that you are taking good care of yourself and it sure seems like that with what you are sharing, i am happy for you that you are getting a new computer!

Brad said...

There's nothing more fun than new toys is there. Take a pic for us Andy and post it. I wanna see what you got !

Kelly Jene said...

Yea, I wanna see it too. I'm happy for you, you've need a new computer for a long while now!

Cheryl said...

I still remember my excitement at getting my laptop. I can't wait to hear that your's has been delivered.

I'm glad you were able to be there for Wanda. I know she's been good to you and you must feel good that you were able to help her this time.

CJM-R said...

It is always fun to look forward to something new!

Yes, good you were there for Wanda.

Can't wait until you post your pic of the new computer!

Summer said...

I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!

simonsays said...

I am excited for you, too!

You are a good friend Andrew, and you have come so far.

Have a wonderful day.

:)

forsythia said...

You did so much with your old one. Can't wait to see what new things you'll do with the new one. Meanwhile, some of us have yet to post our first photo.

Bridget said...

You're a supportive friend, Andrew, and I'm so proud of you for staying sober as long as you have. I can sympathize with Wanda; I am having problems with my boyfriend and had the same fear last night. But I went for a drive to the local reservoir instead and called a friend on my cell while I watched the ducks and Canadian geese that live there. I didn't sleep at all last night...but at least I'm not sitting in work with a horrific hangover. Friendship, when you're struggling like that, means more than you know and is appreciated. That you can be there for her is a sign of your own growth/progress as well.

Portia said...

Alright! I'm happy to hear your computer is on its way!

I'm sure your supportive words were immensely helpful to Wanda, and hopefully she will keep on keeping on.

BigDummy said...

Did you really use the words "Dell" and "reliable", talking about the same thing?

The Little Woman and Hubby said...

I just checked your counter, almost 225 days sober. That is WONDERFUL!!!! You were such great encouragement to Wanda. I know you are excited about your new computer. What is the expected date of delivery?