Saturday, June 14, 2008

Desperation...

"I'm desperate," my mother told me a moment ago. She had come over just to sit with me. She had a wild look in her eyes.

"Desperate about what?" I asked.

"I don't know. I can't put a finger on it," she replied.

I held her hand and it was shaking.

"Calm down. It is going to be okay."

"I don't want to drive to Birmingham to see your sister and the baby," Mom blurted out. "I dread that long drive and I have to leave soon. Your father can get up more things to do."

"I understand," I said as I lit up a cigarette.

"That's terrible of me isn't it?" Mom said.

"I think that is normal," was my reply.

Mom really can't take a lot going on. My father constantly keeps up activities to do. It wears on her. I don't blame her for dreading that drive and the resulting social menagerie.

5 comments:

Brad said...

seems like it might be a good idea to sit down and talk as a threesome - maybe ?

I know I don't know all of the ins and outs - just my two cents

Everyone's crazy... said...

Andrew-I just want you to know that you encourage me so much every single day. I appreciate your willingness to be real and broken and honest and desiring of improvement. I've been reading here for over a year. Every day. Every post. You bring me solace. When I read, I don't feel as alone in my head. Thank you.

justLacey said...

I can't blame your mom either. All that family time would wear me out and I like to go home at the end of the day and just relax.

CJM-R said...

Your poor mom, anxiety impacts activities so much. Can your mom stay behind if she wants to?

Summer said...

I like Brad's idea. That is IF your father would be open to it. I know that would be an issue for you.

I hope your mom is ok today.