Sunday, July 06, 2008

A New Friend...

We just hit it off.  There was something special the moment I heard her speak.

"You going home?" she asked as I walked out of the AA meeting and headed for my car.

"Yeah," I said. "How 'bout you?"

"I would really like to go get an iced coffee," she replied.

So we went to get and iced coffee and to talk.  Luckily, I had enough money on me today to pay for our expensive drinks.

What I like about her?  Her fiery red hair, fair complexion, and freckles.  She has also been sober over a year.  We've seen each other often in this meeting I have been attending in another town.  I think we are on the way to becoming fast friends. 

Mom has been by a lot today.  She feels bored and listless since she is staying up during the day and not sleeping.  Both times she didn't stay long, but I enjoyed her company. 

12 comments:

justLacey said...

A new friend, I am so excitied for you. Sounds like some fun is on the way and the fact she has been sober for a year is a good thing for you.
I guess mom sleeps during the day only when your dad is there. Has her medication changed? Poor thing that she is bored, perhaps you can do something with her tomorrow. It would be a good thing for both of you.

mosiacmind said...

I think that I remember you mentioning this woman awhile back ago. I am so happy for you that you made the choice to get together with her and be social.I hope that perhaps you can go out again for coffee and such and meet up at meetings. My mom seemed kind of restless these past few days and then today seemed tired. I had a nice time spending time with her today.

Kirs said...

Andrew,
I'm SO happy to hear that you have a new "friend!" I can hear you smiling all the way across the states!

Hope all is well with you :)

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a good day for you. I like that!

We got the storm. Lots of rain and some thunder and lightning. We really needed it, though you might need it more. I thought of you. It's over for now.

Sharyna said...

It's always nice to make a new friend. Hope it works out for you.

sharyna

Mo said...

A new friend! It is a present you are giving to yourself.

I'm glad you are taking the chance and letting someone new into your life.

Congratulations on your continued sobriety.

Moonroot said...

Isn't it funny how we just 'click' with some people?
I'm glad you went for coffee, and hope the friendship grows strong.

C.A. said...

Ohhhhhhhhh this is going to be exciting for you, Andrew! I hope your friendship blossoms. :) There's nothing that makes you feel more alive!

Hugs...

C.A.

Tiffanie said...

Is this the one you used to refer to as the Celtic Beauty?

Ellie said...

Yay! I love making new friends. Also, sometimes it is just nice to have company over,, even if they don't do much. :)

Leann said...

Good luck with the new friendship Andrew. It's always nice to meet new people.

Kelly Jene said...

That's fantastic! And what a gentleman to pay for her drink. Enjoy her company!