Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Loner...

Dad was worried today that I insist on doing the hospital bed deliveries alone.  The bed parts are heavy, but I would rather do it by myself. 

"I don't want a third wheel," I told him. "Somebody to be under my heels."

"Have it your way," he replied, patting me on my back. 

I still enjoy work for the most part although a large part of my wages are going to pay Helen's Friday cleaning and cooking.  I already have a meal planned for Helen: meatloaf (my favorite), creamed potatoes, english peas, and biscuits.  I can taste it now and can't wait.

This morning was my daily AA meeting.  It was a small group of wise members with a lot of sobriety and I got a lot out of it.   I sometimes have to remind myself that Alcohol is dangerous to someone like me and today's meeting did that.  A man spoke of having several years sobriety and "going back out" as they like to say in AA.  Lest I ever forget my humble experiences of homelessness and drunkenness of several years ago.

11 comments:

mosiacmind said...

I am like you and several others who are in aa who like to be loners. I am happy for you that with your feeling like a loner you reached out and went to a meeting. Good for you! The meal that you are planning sounds really yummy. I hope that you have a good rest of your evening.

Kelly Jene said...

I understand being a loner. I've been one for most of my life. Your dinner sounds too good!

Eric Valentine said...

I hope those peas are 'Marrowfat' peas Andrew.. Taste great! :)

Leann said...

The meal sounds yummy Andrew. I'm betting you're over the 'bad karma' days.

Summer said...

LOL about your neighbors kissing. My first thought was maybe one of them wasn't exactly your neighbor. I know that was bad. Anyway, you'll still be kissing someone like that when you're 50. Trust me.

Portia said...

Yup. Reminds me of when you spoke of the insidious nature of alcohol, and that is so, so true. Serious props for your path within recovery. You are awesome. Enjoy that yummy meal tomorrow:)

justLacey said...

Computer and rain! You are having a grand day. Be careful with the lightening.
P.S. Got a job today.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

hey Have fun with the new 'puter n thunder!
cool!

mosiacmind said...

I am so happy for you that you got your new computer...I am sure that you will be spending lots of time on it especially the next few days.

Kevin said...

gratz on the new computer !

mosiacmind said...

That is ALOT of hot pockets..you would almost have enough to share with people at one of your meetings if there was a microwave there...ha ha. I know that you will enjoy them. I hope that you are having a good day Andrew. I am sure that you are enjoying the new computer.