Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Could it Always be this Easy?

Imagine my surprise as I sat down in my psychiatrist's office this morning, shook his hand, and he smiled warmly.

"How many Klonopin do you need this month?" he asked.

"Twenty," I replied.

He proceeded to write my prescription for it with no further questions.  I thought I would have to grovel and beg and prostrate myself upon the floor.

We talked a lot of my schizophrenia and my current symptoms -- symptoms which I rarely reveal on this blog these days.   My main problem these days is dealing with anxiety and paranoia.  My doctor upped my Risperdal Consta some and added on another 50 mg of Luvox. 

"You handled that like an adult," Dad told me as we were walking out.  "I didn't have to say a word."

"Thanks," I replied, thoroughly pleased at my father's positive affirmations.

Me and Dad talked a lot of Mom on the way home.  The way she used to be, and how she is now. 

"She's like a different person," I told Dad.

"You two always fought like cats and dogs, and now she is your most staunchest supporter." Dad replied.

I enjoyed the time spent with my father this morning.  Our relationship is a direct reflection of my sobriety.  The longer sober I go, the closer we get.  I felt blessed today --blessed for all I have and blessed to have such a caring family.     

10 comments:

Judy said...

You are blessed and so are your parents to have you for a son.

Kelly Jene said...

I'm so pleased for you. You and your dad have really gone through it and it really seems like things are improving. That's wonderful.

I'm also glad to hear you didn't have to fight for the meds you need. Here's to feeling great!!

CJM-R said...

God Bless you, Andrew. It must be such a wonderful feeling to be so connected to your family after all that you have been through.

Sounds like you are reaping the benefits of sobriety.

Take care.

justLacey said...

I know your dad feels blessed too. There is nothing more pleasing than when your children are doing well. There is nothing like it. I hope your symptoms lessen, but you are doing very well coping with them. Bravo!

Mo said...

So happy for you. You've come so far and you are blessed indeed.

justLacey said...

Hey I forgot to tell you, yesterday I went through the ATM and after that I needed to break a 20. Mc donalds it right next door so I went through the drive thru and ordered a coffee. I was shocked! You're right, it's pretty good. Still can't top my all time fav Dunkin Donuts but I'll give it a close second. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous Boxer said...

In many ways, all we need is our family. I'm really impressed and happy for you.

Tee said...

Great post. You are so blessed to have parents that love and care for you, care about the quality of your life, care enough to provide comforts of life, care enough to fight for your life. :-) Many people don't have that.

Cheryl said...

Your life has changed completely since I first met you. I liked you then, and I like you now. Have another good day!

Chandira said...

I think we're all a bit prone to paranoia once in a while...

Glad you're doing well at the moment. :-)