Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What I have to Listen to...

"Your grandmother drives me crazy," Mom said this morning. "You would think at the age of 87 she would have mellowed some."

"Not Memaw!" I replied smiling. 

Even at the age of 87, my grandmother can keep my mother and her brothers and sisters in an uproar.  She is cantankerous and feisty.

"I think I am going to take her phone away," Mom said pouting.

"You can't do that!" I replied. "She needs a phone to call people."

"She called this morning and needs more makeup," Mom said. "She puts on more makeup than anybody I've ever seen."

I just sat on my couch nodding letting Mom know I was paying attention.  This kind of stuff has been going on for years so is nothing new to me and my family.

"She also said she wishes she was dead.  She is tired of living," Mom told me.

My grandmother has been saying that for years as well and keeps on going and going.  I think she has quite a few more years left in her.  Now if only Mom and siblings can keep their sanity for just a bit longer, they will be home free. 

9 comments:

Brad said...

How ya doing bud? Seems like a while since I commented, so wanted to say hello.

Mothers are funny. I listen to my Mom tell me the things that her mother does that makes her crazy. Then she turns around and does the same thing to me.

Take care!

Kelly Jene said...

Your grandmother sounds like a riot. I'm envious, never having been around any grandparents. Enjoy it my friend!

M said...

hey, a Lady has to wear her makeup. never know when a handsome man might stop by the house.

(-:

Leann said...

When the feistiness goes, you can bet she'll be gone. Good for her!! Keep em on their toes.

Jami said...

That story about your grandmother reminds me of when my grandmother was in hospice, waiting to die. She was ready to go, and knew it was coming. She had made peace with it and wanted to go. One day, she woke up from a "nap," and was furious! She spurted out, "You mean I'm still here!? I'm not dead yet!?"

We couldn't help but laugh ... which made her laugh, too.

forsythia said...

I can relate to your mother's problems with "Memaw." Does your Mom read blogs? I talk about my problems in dealing with my own Mom in "Life in Merlin." My mom is 99 and has lived under our roof for 9 years. The last year has been particularly crazy. I wigged out over Mom's stubborness this past month. I think I've wigged back in again, but don't know how much longer I can cope. Whenever I tell someone that Mom is 99, they say "Bless her little heart." If I hear that one more time, I'm gonna scream.

Mo said...

I can only imagine how this must wear on you from time to time.

Probably not what you want to hear but I'd give anything to listen to my mom drone on and I too (like Kelly Jene) didn't have the opportunity to know my grandparents on either side.

Hope you have a good day today.

My babies thank you for the inspiration to cook a piece of turkey bacon for them this AM.

Portia said...

Feisty huh? I like your grandmother already:)

Tee said...

Sounds like me fussing about my Mom, who is 90. I suppose they deserve a break, after all they have lived a long time and probably deserve it. LOL! What will we be like when we are that age?