Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Doggone, don't be gone...

I've read on several blogs where the owners of a dog have had to put it to sleep due to old age.  I actually had tears erupt reading one blog and I thought I couldn't cry due to my medications.  I don't know what I would do without Maggie.  She is like my daughter and closest confidant all rolled into one.  I have nightmares thinking of her getting out of the fence and running out into the busy highway down from my house.  I pray everyday that she has enough sense not to dig out and bolt.  I love her so much.

Mom came this morning bringing coffee from Mickey D's.  It was delicious.  Mom has got to take my sister-in-law and my two nieces to see my grandmother today.  I hope they see Joyce as well.  I had the opportunity to go, but feel like a hermit and will stay home.

My AA meeting today was routine.  A good group of people and Karen was there.  We spoke for a long time after the meeting until the heat chased us to our cars.  She's far more religious than I am, though, in our talk.  I still struggle with higher powers, God, and the likes.  Each day I draw closer to a God of my understanding.  Not the spiteful, tyrannical God of the Old Testament, but a kind and benevolent soul bent on my best interests. 

6 comments:

jane said...

so hard losing a dog. we were devastated when our old labrador henry died, but we still had enough love in us to adopt another one! dogs are wonderful - they just want to love you.

x
jane

justLacey said...

I agree with Jane. I lost my first white boxer just 2 years ago right after we moved up here. It was worse than losing a family member. He was sick for about a month before hand and I wondered if I had to make the decision to put him down, could I do it. Luckily I didn't have to. He passed in his sleep the night he seemed to be doing better. I cried for weeks and still do if I think about him.

Kelly Jene said...

I feel that way about my cats. I don't ever want to lose them.

God isn't the tyrannical God people think is represented in the OT. He is kind, loving, He is love. I'm sure that God is the One who you feel drawing closer to you.

Marsha said...

An electronic fence for Maggie might keep her away from the fence. The only other option would be a long lead. Good luck with that.

There is only one God. People want God to fit into their own tidy little packages. He never has and never will.

You said something about "a God of your own understanding". There's a verse in the bible that says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

People can't pick and choose which part of God they want to accept. He accepts us as a whole being. We should do the same. He created us. It's not up to us to tell HIM how to be.

jane said...

in some ways, i very respectfully disagree with marsha on the concept of god, yet i do understand when she says some of us try to fit god into a tidy package to suit our needs. but honestly, i think people do that because it helps them on their journey and i think god gets that. my god is of my understanding, and kind, loving and tolerant of all people of all faiths. when you think about it, how can you say otherwise. who is to say who is right? i'm certainly not, that's for sure.

p.s. electric fence might be a good idea!

D*O*G*S R*U*L*E!!!!

Manifesting Mini Me (MMM) said...

I love dogs! I recently read the book, "Marley and Me" - it is full of fun and the last part that tells of Marley's death is a tear jerker. I highly recommend it!