Sunday, May 02, 2010

My Thoughts for the End of the Blogging Day…

Double Cheeseburger Time…

“Mom?” I asked a moment ago. “Can I come and get my Cokes early?”

I was mainly bored and wanted something to do – a reason to get out and drive the car.

“Sure sweetheart,” she replied gleefully. “I will have them ready for you.”

I arrived at mom and dad’s to find them both sitting in the den and reading books.  Mom was reading a book on Orville and Wilbur Wright and dad was reading a book on Jackie Kennedy.  The cover of the book said, “The Queen of America.”

“Johnny, go buy me a double cheeseburger,” mom said.

Dad looked up and grunted.

“One of those McDonald’s apple pies would be good as well.”

Dad grunted again, closed his book, and got up to go get supper.  I rode with him.  I just got a large fry and a small chocolate shake.  I wasn’t that hungry.  Dad and I talked mainly about AA.  He is so intrigued an institution has evolved around helping alcoholics.  And that it is free for the most part.

“Your mother spent thousands and thousands of dollars in therapy for years for her issues to no avail,” dad said. “And you go to a free program and seem like a different person these days.  It baffles me.”

I call AA personality reprogramming.  You learn to live a new life and learn to live all over again.  They teach you right and wrong for a group of people that has historically had trouble with relationships and morals. 

We arrived home and mom hungrily tore into her double cheeseburger.

“Martha, your ass is getting as wide as a double wide trailer,” dad said as we sat at the kitchen table. “You really don’t need double cheeseburgers.”

I expected a blow up.  Mom just laughed and said, “It is getting rather large.”  I laughed nervously and dad smiled.

“Used to, I would have told your mother something like that and it would have been world war three,” dad told me. “She would have divorced me.  The Zyprexa is working.”

I marveled as I drove home how interesting my parents usually are.  They always have something going on.  There is never a dull moment in their household. 

A Really Mentally Interesting Moment…

I had a really mentally interesting moment late this afternoon.  I realized it had been over 24 hours since I last took my medications -- one of the drawbacks of dad coming so early to give me my medications on Saturday.  I was sitting in the den listening to my weather radio when I felt like I was having an out of body experience.  It was very scary.  I felt as if I didn’t have control of my faculties and the room was spinning.  I dragged myself to the bed and lay down.  I got cold, but was too afraid to get up to turn up the air.  I also had to pee like a racehorse. Then, I got to feeling like I couldn’t swallow or breathe.  I thought the moment would never pass.   I had heard those nagging auditory hallucinations all day and should have seen it as a warning sign.   Dad gave me my medications tonight and the auditory ticks went away in an hour.

2 comments:

kristi said...

I saw the pics of your Mom and she is not that big!! I am bigger than her and I would slap my hubby if he said that to me!! LOL.

Beth said...

Beware of the Zyprexa! My daughter was on that about 2 months ago (for about a month) and gained nearly 20 lbs. Apparently the 'joke' is that you gain 10 lbs just filling the prescription! Most of the antipsychotics have the side effect of weight gain, but I think Zyprexa is among the worst.

Your 'mentally interesting' moment sounds very scary. Certainly a vivid reminder of how important it is to keep to a regular schedule, hm.

Beth