Thursday, May 13, 2010

This and That…

  • I am adjusting to my new medications quite well.  Dad told me not to get my hopes up as it make take several weeks to get acclimated to this new medication regimen.   It seems I had grown resistant to the extremely high levels of Risperdal I was taking.   We had to go back to square one and start over. 
  • I am on a decaf coffee kick right now.  I drink decaf coffee throughout the day.   Nothing tastes better than a cigarette and a cup of coffee.  Don’t berate me for writing that and feeling that way.
  • Maggie and I are still walking one mile everyday despite my doctor’s strong urgings just to stay home and rest. 
  • My biggest side effect of my new medications is extreme drowsiness.  I am constantly sleepy these days. 
  • My father ordered the part I need to get my camera working.   It should be here any day now.  I have missed making my attitude of gratitude videos.  It was a good way to start the day on a positive note. 
  • We’ve had very bland weather here for days.  I am ready for something exciting like the usual diurnal pop-up thunderstorms that are so characteristic for the South in summer. 
  • No news from George which I am praying is a good thing and not a bad thing.
  • I have been attending lots of online AA meetings lately.   I just haven’t felt up to the long drive to LaGrange this week for real world meetings.
  • Every morning I start with a prayer to my higher power to make it another day sober.  Taking it one day at a time is much easier than comprehending a lifetime without beer.    I still have the most vivid drinking dreams though.   My dreams have been exceptionally vivid with these new medications I am on.

8 comments:

forsythia said...

Sounds good, Andrew. I think the walk would be very beneficial. Getting out in natural sunlight is good for everyone and helps regulate the sleep/wake rhythms. Plus, Maggie will be delighted.

Most dogs LOVE to walk and get hysterical with joy when they see the leash. Our pit bull is an exception. He pretends he doesn't hear when you say "Walk!" Then he drags along as slowly as he can during the first half of the walk. During the second half, he picks up speed because he knows he's going home.

Sharon said...

I don't think going for a walk with Maggie is going to overtax you, and she does appreciate it. It isn't as if you're out running a marathon or anything. Just take the time you need the rest of the day to relax, take care of yourself, and feel better.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Your daily walks with Maggie really should continue! You've got to help her keep up that hourglass figure of hers, LOL! BUT - if they make you uncomfortable, exercise her by letting her chase sticks in the back yard!

We drink a lot of coffee, too. First pot of the day is mixed half and half - then if we want more, it's decaf for the rest of the day. The doctor says it's much better for our blood pressure (we're old, ya know).

Given the state of your social anxieties, etc. don't you think the online AA meetings are better for now? Until all the new meds settle in, online is the way to go. Heck, I wouldn't even try the local meetings yet. Take your dad at his word. If you need your mentor, call him! This must be a tough time right now and if you need someone to lean on, he may be the perfect choice. And, of course, you always have us!

Can't wait for your camera to be fixed! Miss getting to hear your wonderful southern drawl!

I'm here if ya need me,
Love ya,
Grannie

Beth said...

So glad the new meds are helping, and I'll bet the extreme sleepiness will pass. And good for you for the online AA meetings -- keep coming back!

Most people have a Vitamin D deficiency, according to my doctor, which can contribute to depression and lethargy. Getting out in the sun even 10 minutes daily can help that, so I think your walks are good, and besides, they'll help counteract the effect of all that JUNK FOOD your mom bought! Good grief! I'm with whoever suggested that you raid her pantry if you run out of decent food to eat!

Hang in there. LOVE that you're actively doing one day at a time. That is the whole core of the program!

Beth

Leaking Moonlight said...

I'm with you, Andrew.

Must have coffee. A lot. (Often wishing I was smoking again.)

The toys insist they must walk. The first chore of their day is to stare longingly out the window together, and then at me. (Pick up those leashes dadgummit.)

Happy day Andrew!

Cin said...

I can identify with the coffee and smoking! I also like smoking and Pepsi. Neither are good for me I know.

I think walking Maggie will help the both of you! I hope you are able to adjust to your meds quickly. I know it can take a while and will sometimes make life difficult. But, I do hope they work for you!!

alphabet soup said...

Nothing better than a cup of coffee and a cigarette Andrew.
I'm glad your Dad has ordered the part for your camera - I've missed the photos especially the ones of Maggie with captions.....

Take it easy Andrew.
Ms Soup

kristi said...

I love coffee but only in the morning, it makes me hyper and it makes me hot. LOL.