Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Quirks About Coast to Coast AM…

With my subscription to Streamlink, I can listen to Coast to Coast AM shows from years ago.  I am listening to a show right now where the guest says he has had visions that Yellowstone will blow any day now then.  It never did.  This is a common theme with Coast to Coast AM – calamities.  With 2012 growing ever closer, more and more programming is being devoting to the so called end of the world.  I am far too cynical to believe such tripe.  2012 is just simply the end of the Mayan calendar.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  My analytical mind tells me that scientists today are far more likely to predict a major change in the earth than some ancient culture that didn’t even have electricity or the ability to fly.   Of course, this gets the wackadoos all stirred up and they will call into the show with their opinions on the subject.  I will probably get flamed, but these people are most likely mentally ill to a degree.  I find a lot of the callers sound mentally ill more so than I do on a bad day. 

Another common theme with Coast to Coast AM is the paranormal.  I just don’t believe in extraterrestrial UFOs or ghosts.  My ex-wife swore she saw a UFO once. “It was floating lights in the sky,” she would say.   She was a believer and had me build a fast computer just to run SETI@Home – a mass computer project years ago devoted to the search for extraterrestrial signals in the sky.   “Just because it was an unidentified flying object didn’t necessarily mean it was from another world,” I would tell her.  

That said, I still love the show.  It is fascinating in a way to listen to these people go on and on about things that aren’t real – much more fascinating then listening to Glenn Beck bitch about “Obama Care”.   My favorite shows are when they discuss science, space, or physics.  You just can’t find this type of deep science related material on popular radio without the help of Coast to Coast AM.  

17 comments:

Leaking Moonlight said...

Hey, Andrew. I used to be a Coast to Coast addict when it was Art Bell, but now I'm merely obsessed. (Ha!)

I've read with interest all your posts about the show. I agree with your opinions about the naysayers and some of the far out woo-woo stuff. I check what's on and then listen or not. I do not like to listen to doom and gloom guests. They spook me too.

About every six months I'll reactivate my subscription and listen to the archives. It is truly absorbing. I saw a tv show last night that said any one thing a person does to keep their mind busy and off thoughts of their actual life is an addiction, like eating and even reading magazines. With Coast, that's ok with me. I listen to audiobooks work needlepoint, so I guess that means I'm guilty there as well.

What it really tells about us both is sometimes - ok, a whole lot of the time - we're up and wide awake when most folks are snug in bed fast asleep.

(And I ran Seti at home too. We both must have been interested in computers from way back.)

Joy Heather said...

I also ran seti a few years ago..nothing came of it though (obviously)..i used to leave it set up all night for quite a while until i got bored..I have got an open mind on the subject of life on other planets though..why should we be the only ones ??..I dont think they would be little green men etc,that is crazy, but its quite possible...but i dont think i'm a freak, & i certainly dont dwell on the subject.

justLacey said...

I really like this new template! I think its my fav.

Jules said...

Love this subject Andrew!! I have been a closet listner to Coast to Coast for YEARS!!!!!! One of the best things about my divorce was, I can leave it on all night if I want to! And I usually want to.

Hey, I am one of the wacko's! I'm not going to confess being visited by aliens in Greer Az one summer, and then being beamed up by billions of tiny blue lights to their ship. But I will tell you that, even if it's just all conspiracy theorists running wild, I do love the thrill of the possibilities!

Will 2012 be our next Y2K?

Sharon said...

Well, I'll have to disagree with you on the ghost thing, since I've seen and heard spirits since I was a little girl. Never seen a UFO though I believe there's life out there somewhere. Still, I have to agree with you that some of the callers to that show are a bit, um...ok, whackadoo is a good word! LOL! By the way, it's not that I stay up all night to listen to the show, but I do suffer from insomnia and have a pillow speaker so I can listen to the radio while I'm awake.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

I've had my first panic attack in years! Just had way too much going on in the past few weeks and crashed late last night. Thank God for medication and two warm puppies! Took about two hours to get through the worst of it and I'm still shakey this afternoon. Mentally interesting - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Love,
Grannie

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew:
Hope everything is okay. We miss you!
Terri

Anonymous said...

hi
i hope that you have a good day. i had someone hack into my email so i do not have email right now. i filled out the online forms but i think i forgot to put my name! so today i am going to go over to mom's and i will email them on her account. i hope that it all takes care of it soon. i am frustrated with whomever hacked into my account and frustrated that i am not mechaniclly inclined
i am sure that maggie will do fine at the vet and will be thrilled to see you but as some dogs do might act miffed at you at first. gracie she acts really exited to see me and then once we get home she will ignore me for a bit like she is mad. i am happy with myself for not becoming all undone about the computer hacker. i know if it takes long to have it cleared up i will be getting upset. i hope that you have a good day.it is a very pretty day here. i hope that you are having good weather there take great care of yourself. liz

Joy Heather said...

Hi Andrew..Where are you,?? I worry when you dont blog each day..hope you are feeling ok ??..Hugs to you and Maggie..Joy

Beth said...

What Joy said. Me too. Hope all is well.
Beth

justLacey said...

Hope you are feeling ok. Miss u.

mxtodis123 said...

Thinking about you, Andrew. Hope you're okay.
Mary

Lottie said...

Hope you're okay... miss you..

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

You had a somewhat garbled post up for the end of the day, Tuesday, and now it is gone... and you have not posted Wednesday or Thursday. That has me a bit concerned.

I hope all is ok.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Summer said...

Thinking about you.

Sharon said...

We're just concerned about you because we care. Hope all is well. Our thoughts and good wishes are with you. Take care of yourself!

Mary K said...

I'm thinking about you. Just wanted you to know that. ((((Andrew)))