Saturday, October 29, 2005

A Dangerous Game

HIV/AIDS Guy has made a reappearance at the shopping center. He and Big S are playing a dangerous game these days. The Piggly Wiggly doesn’t have security cameras and the morning employees such as Linda and Virginia are not very attentive. Big S is the point man and watches while HIV/AIDS Guy shoplifts. Normally, Big S just sits out in front of the shopping center asking departing patrons for spare change. I don’t think I have ever seen him go inside the store until lately. I don’t understand why these two would risk going to jail over orange juice, Vienna sausages, and saltine crackers though. That is what HIV/AIDS Guy stole today. These fellows aren’t too bright and even have the audacity to brag about it to me and others down there.

I dread seeing HIV/Aids Guy in that I am too polite most times for my own good. I will usually sit and listen to his lengthy spiel about how sick he is and how he needs money for his medications. He always shows off that tattered hospital identification band on his wrist. He is actually quite fit and well and doesn’t have AIDS at all. That is just his panhandling line and it works quite well in that people are glad to give him a few dollars just to get rid of him.

George soon drove up carrying a few patrons via his fly-by-night taxi service. Two elderly and very hefty black ladies got out of the car and went inside to buy their groceries. The car rose up several inches as they ejected their great girth. George waved for me to walk over and sit in the car. I sat down and he handed me a Milwaukee’s Best Ice beer from his twelve pack. I cracked it open and took a swallow. I usually try to make it a rule not to have a beer before lunch, but gave in today.

“Do you know what Big S and HIV/AIDS Guy are up to these days?” I asked George.

“Yeap, dey be some dumb-ass niggas, ain’t dey?” George said.

At least George gets his money somewhat legitimately through his taxi service even though he isn’t licensed to do so by the city. George kind of performs a community service for the poor and car-less people in his neighborhood although they do have to pay. It would be much more expensive for them to go through the legitimate taxi firms in town.

“George, why don’t they panhandle up at the Kroger?” I asked speaking of Big S and HIV/AIDS Guy. “That is where all the rich people shop.”

“Dem folks at Kroger won’t let you do that,” George replied. “Dem folks be nervous types and will call the police.”

We both sat and took another drink from our beers.

“You ready for tomorrow?” I asked.

“What about tomorrow?” George asked with a confused tone to his voice.

“You said the other day that you were going to church and were going to be born again,” I replied.

George laughed heartily.

“Man, you know I be drunk and be talkin’ shit,” George said.

“Well, I thought you were serious,” I replied.

“Don’t be payin’ ole George any attention,” George said.

“Well man, I am going to head on home and catch some football games,” I replied.

“Cya my brotha, cya,” George said as he shook my hand.

If Big S or HIV/AIDS Guy disappear for a few days, I will know that their activities finally caught up with them. You can only do stupid shit like that so much until you will get caught. Especially, if you are standing out in front of the very same store you shoplifted from bragging about your exploits. Only time will tell.

No comments: