Monday, October 31, 2005

First Light

My favorite time of the day is just before dawn. Every thing is so peaceful and quiet. The only sound is that of the hissing of my gas heater and the pecking of my fingers at the keyboard. Soon, the first light of dawn appears and the birds begin to stir and call. I go outside after donning my coat and stand in the cold morning air. I breathe deep. Frost covers the landscape and makes it look so cold. Every thing just seems right with the world.

I was starving this morning and fixed a hearty breakfast of poached eggs on toast sprinkled with some of that delectable cheddar cheese from Clarke Brothers Meats. I also cooked a pot of grits. Not the instant kind mind you, but good old fashioned southern style grits. I am also already on my second pot of coffee.

Yesterday was a blessed day and I got a real treat last night that I wasn’t expecting. Charlie had grilled rib-eye steaks and brought me one along with toasted barbeque bread, a baked potato, and a salad. I can’t afford to buy the things and I do love a good steak so last night was truly a welcomed surprise.

My father also called me last night to tell me he had bought me a ticket to the annual Alabama vs. Auburn game. This game is a HUGE deal every year and the stadium will be packed to the gills with rabid football fans. My brother and his wife are also flying in from San Diego to attend with us. Dad is also driving up to Lexington, Kentucky next week for the Auburn vs. Kentucky game. He asked me if I wanted to attend that game as well, but I declined. I just don’t feel like a lengthy road trip and will just stay at home and take care of their cats.

No comments: