Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Goodbye Lucky

Well, the workers finally finished the chain link fence. Charlie brought Lucky, the Siberian husky, over yesterday and put him in the fence and built a shelter for him. I found out Lucky was fifteen years old. Lucky didn’t survive the move and it was sad. It was too much of a shock to his system. Damn that crazy Uncle Bob and his stupid goats.

I woke up at my usual time of 5 am and started my coffee. I have been sleeping in my tent at night in the backyard. After starting my coffee, I walked back outside to smoke a cigarette and to check on Lucky. The full moon was shining brightly this morning casting ominous shadows. I walked into the fence and found Lucky lying in the grass, ice-cold, and barely breathing. He would yelp if I tried to move him. I went back inside and got an extension cord and a heating blanket and put it over the dog. When dawn arrived, I called Charlie and let him know that Lucky was almost dead and needed to be put to sleep. Charlie came over and took the dog to the veterinarian to have him put down. It was really sad and I had to choke back tears. I don’t handle death very well.

Other than what happened this morning, it has been really quiet around here and I have spent my days enjoying the last few warm days left and reading lots of fiction and playing computer games. I haven’t had anything really to write about and that is odd for me. I can usually write about nothing and make a post for my blog. I have been at a complete loss for words these days.

It has been in the mid to lower eighties every day and we are supposed to have a record high of 88 degrees tomorrow. Despite these record daily highs it has been really cold at night for this time of year in the south. The humidity is exceptionally low and this causes enhanced radiational cooling.

When I awoke in my sleeping bag this morning, the first thing I saw in the glow of my flashlight as I looked at my watch was my breath. It was that cold this morning. I had to use my fleece liner inside my summer sleeping bag to stay warm all night and awoke several times very chilled. I almost gave up and went back inside to sleep, but I seem to sleep better outdoors in my tent. I know my neighbors must think I am crazy and I am. I have just felt like the walls of my apartment were closing in on me at night and I have been feeling claustrophobic.

No comments: