Thursday, October 20, 2005

Journey to the Meat House

I dedicated a day to my great auntie Myrtis today. I did something that thrilled her soul. She never learned to drive and is dependent upon me and my father for getting around. She has been talking for weeks about going to the “meat house”. They have this fabled stuffed sausage that is some of the best sausage you have ever eaten. I have never been up there, but have heard her talk about it for years and years. She called me this morning and asked if I would drive her up to Roanoke, Alabama to go shopping there. I told her I would be glad to.

Since she had never driven, she was not too up to date on how to get there. I haven’t been to Roanoke, Alabama in probably ten years as well. All she knew was that the “meat house” was over the hill past the hospital; very vague directions at best. I picked her up in Waverly and then drove on towards Lafayette and got on highway 431 headed towards Roanoke. I was amazed I remaindered how to get to Roanoke without looking at a map. We finally arrived in town and I started to follow the blue hospital signs hoping she was right. We passed the hospital and we drove and drove until finally she spotted the establishment. “There!” She said excitedly as she pointed off to the left.

The “meat house” as my great auntie calls it is actually really called Clarke Brothers Meats. It is a family owned butcher shop which is a dying breed these days. They actually cut your choices of meat and fulfill your orders behind a counter right in front of you. They had the most beautiful cuts of meat I have ever seen. I was drooling over the $6.99/lb t-bone steaks. They looked so delicious and I wouldn’t have minded throwing a few of those on a charcoal grill after being marinated overnight.

My normally EXTREMELY frugal great aunt was very generous today. For me taking her, she bought me several pounds of that delectable sausage, two pounds of old style hoop cheese, and one of the prettiest roasts I have ever seen. I don’t think I have ever seen her spend so much money at one time in all my life. She now has a freezer full of some of the prettiest cuts of meat I have ever seen.

I really enjoyed spending time with her today and she was quite pleasant to be around for a change and wasn’t so negative today. I think she was just so overjoyed with having the chance to get out and ride in the car for several hours as we chatted. The experience certainly did thrill her soul and I felt good for making this eighty seven year old ladies day.

No comments: