Thursday, October 13, 2005

Small Town Drama

There was a very loud knock on my door this morning. I was at my computer catching up with my daily reads. It made me jump it was so loud. I walked to the door and there was this very, very grubby fellow standing outside with a large work truck in my driveway.

“Were here to put in your new fence,” He said with an extremely heavy southern drawl and a cigarette dangling from his mouth.

“I don’t know anything about a new fence,” I said perplexed.

“Well, don’t that bald fellow live here?” The grubby fellow asked.

I laughed when I caught on.

“Ah, Charlie,” I said. “He is buying this house.

Just then Charlie pulled up in the driveway behind the work truck.

“That’s him now,” I said pointing to his car.

Uncle Bob and Aunt Jessie bought one of Charlie’s fixer-upper houses years ago. Charlie had a large Siberian husky and just kept it Uncle Bob’s house due to Bob’s insistence. The dog is named Lucky and must be twelve or thirteen years old now.

Well, Uncle Bob complained to Charlie that Lucky has been harassing his goats since they are kept in the same fence. Lucky is so old he can barely walk and usually just sleeps all day. This royally pissed Charlie off in that he now has to go to the expense of building a new fence over at my house to house Lucky.

“That crazy asshole!” Charlie said to me. “Lucky is too old to be harassing goats and the goddamn goats are illegal inside the city limits anyway.”

“Charlie, Bob is just a crazy old cantankerous man,” I replied.

“Well, I will be damned if I do anything else for him,” Charlie said. “I am gonna do like you and not answer the phone when that asshole calls.”

I chuckled.

“If you don’t answer, he will drive over and get you,” I replied.

“I will tell that son of a bitch to go to hell,” Charlie said.

I haven’t seen Charlie this worked up in years even though he does tend to be a high-strung fellow.

Well, it seems my quiet little abode will be not so quiet this week as those workmen erect a chain link fence. It will be nice to have Lucky as a companion though.

No comments: