Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fierce Determination...

Once or twice a decade I get this feeling of fierce determination and can do amazing things to change my life.  I get it from my mother.  She used to could do this as well.  Well, I felt it coming on the day before last.  I realized I needed to capitalize on this once a decade "mood."  I decided to quit smoking mainly because it has become such a G-D hassle.   I had to call mom.  Mom would call dad.  And dad would usually call me bitching about how much I smoked.  The cigarettes I smoked also went up ten dollars a carton the other day and that pissed me off. 

"You could afford a new Honda Civic car payment for what you are spending on cigarettes these days," dad told me not too long ago. 

All of these things precipitated this sudden change in my life.  Let's hope this "fierce determination" lasts for a few weeks- giving me a chance to finally quit that terrible, stinky habit.  It is going to take months to get this ash tray smell out of my house and every thing I own stinks! Ughhh!

9 comments:

glittermom said...

I quite 5 yrs. ago...It was the hardest thing I ever did...It doesnt always work the 1st time you try to quite , but keep at it and you will..I know you can do it , so good luck...

cynthia said...

Another reason to give it up: secondary smoke isn't good for Maggie.

Boxer said...

very proud of you.

Diana said...

You must re commit to NOT SMOKING every day! My husband quit 4 yrs ago and that is what he did. Whenever the urge hit he made it a posative mantra to say,"NO! I don't smoke anymore. I am a non smoker" It worked for him. Best of luck to you. You can do it!

Summer said...

Just checking in to see how you're doing.

justLacey said...

Good for you! I hope you can kick it, just picture yourself driving around in that new car. You don't want it all smelly from cigarettes either.

Joy Heather said...

I believe you CAN do it Andrew..look how you kicked booze..and with all the incentives you have every chance...and like Cynthia said secondary smoke isn't good for Maggie. I dont smoke myself (i did years ago)however, when i am speaking to folk who do smoke, i can smell their breath and its not pleasant..that is something you just don't notice when you smoke yourself..only when you quit...it may sound funny but i think my food started to taste better after i quit as well.

Cheryl said...

Fierce determination is what will make you successful. That and a recommittment every single day.

gayle said...

It is hard!! I have quit and started back many times. I am now quit for good a little over a year now. Just don't have one....you can't have even one ...that's what started me back every time ...telling myself ..I'll only have one but it doesn't work like that. One leads to another and another. I still have cravings and think I always will but you just have to tell yourself you can do it!!