Monday, November 30, 2009

Intervention?

I drove Mrs. Florene to church yesterday.  In the car, she asked me if I thought an intervention would work on George. She had been watching that show on A&E.

"Interventions rarely work," I told her. "I learned from AA that you have to hit rock bottom to start to climb back up.  George is a functional alcoholic so that doesn't seem likely."

"You know?" Mrs. Florene then said. "You hate to see your child suffer and it is like a slow death."

My heart went out to her when she said that.  She is such a dear lady with a heart of gold.  I told her I would get online and start looking for treatment centers.  It gave her hope and that is something that can be in short supply with an addicted loved one. 

2 comments:

Joy Heather said...

It is so Sad when we worry about our loved ones..its good she has you to talk to & help her..i do hope things work out well in the situation...but i think George as got to WANT to change for it to work ??..does he know how much it is upsetting his Mom ?

Lena said...

Nice that she has you for a support. You are good to get her information.