Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Hard Day’s Shopping

I had my appointment with my psychiatrist today. Everything was pretty routine other than she wanted to start me on an anti-depressant called lexapro. I told her that things have been fine lately and she still wanted to prescribe me an additional medication. It didn’t make any sense. She gave me a months worth of samples on the condition that I call her in ten days to let her know how I am doing. I don’t have to see her again in person for three months.

I have taken anti-depressants before and they tend to make me manic. I can get on cloud nine. She knew that and still prescribed it. Oh well, another day in the life of a mental health guinea pig. Hopefully, this new medication will be a trip and I can get some kicks out of it. If you see an increased amount of writing on this blog then you know I am feeling my oats. This will be an interesting experiment. I take the first pill in the morning.

Mom tagged along today. She doesn’t necessarily enjoy waiting around as I visit my doctor, but she was eager to get a chance to eat at the Red Lobster. She came over to pick me up looking totally disheveled. She looked as if she had just crawled out of bed and put on some clothes. Her hair was wilder than normal and she didn’t have on any makeup.

“Mom, we can’t go with you looking like that,” I said concerned.

I drove her back to my parent’s house and helped her fix her hair and urged her to put on some makeup. She half-heartedly attempted to do so. I then drove us down to Opelika for my appointment.

After the appointment, we went to the Red Lobster. I ordered Shrimp and a New York strip steak. Mom got a seafood platter and a pina colada. I do so love their salads; so crisp and cold and with just the right amount of blue cheese dressing.

After our meal, mom’s hands were shaking so badly she couldn’t write the check. She asked me to fill it out for her. She also got in a tizzy about the right amount to tip and even asked the waitress what she wanted. This completely took the waitress by surprise and she didn’t know what to say. I reached into my wallet and pulled out a five dollar bill giving it to her and diffusing that awkward situation.

Mom then decided she needed some new clothes and makeup and asked if I would mind taking her to Dillards in the mall. I told her I wouldn’t mind at all.

During my youth, my mother was so fashionable and an avid shopper. She had flair and style. Today, she struggled with just picking out any clothes at all. I ended up having to do this for her and I got what I thought were several nice outfits and she tried them on. At one point, she came walking out of the dressing room into the store with her shirt unbuttoned exposing her bra, chest, and belly. I rushed over quickly grabbing her shirt to hold it together and took her back into the dressing room.

“Mom, you just can’t walk out into a store with your shirt open like that,” I said startled.

“Oh, I didn’t realize it was unbuttoned,” She replied.

We finally got her several nice outfits that fit her well and some new makeup as well. Once again, I had to fill out the check to pay for them. We then had a quiet ride home. What a strange day this has been!

No comments: