Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Begging Bowl Begins

I rarely watch American television these days. Through the marvel of the internet, I can watch interesting programs from all over the world when I want to watch them and without those dreaded commercials. I can get the BBC news; my British Soap dramas and Little Britain from the UK; Trailer Park Boys from Canada; Australian programs. It takes ten minutes to download my nightly episode of Eastenders from London only a few hours after it actually airs.

I do have one habit regarding American television and it is that of enjoying Public Broadcasting programs. I am lucky that I have two to choose from: Alabama (APTV) and Georgia (GPTV). Late in the evening, I will tune to Public Broadcasting and listen to it as I browse and write in front of this computer. I enjoy programs such as Nova, Frontline, Masterpiece Theater, old British Comedies, etc.

Well, that dreaded time is upon us again and it disrupts my routine and aggravates me. It is when they beg for money and completely change their normal programming. This drives me crazy and I tune out. APTV and GPTV turn into this weird pseudo-MTV for old farts. They only show various genre specific music specials and then stop from time to time to beg for money. I would be more apt to send them some money if I got more great shows like maybe a Nova special or National Geographic Presents. Noooo… I get some tired old little known band from the sixties playing on a stage. They all look like they’re about to fall over from too much exertion.

No comments: