Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Darkness on a Stormy Night

I open my eyes to the sound of thunder and flashes of lightning as I lay in bed. Nature’s grand drama plays outside my windows. The only light other than the lightning is that of the pilot light of my gas heater. Its flickering light casts eerie shadows throughout the room.

I walk into the den and sit down in front of my computer in the dark. I fumble for a cigarette and my lighter. Finally, I put one into my mouth and light it. As I take each draw, the room lights up with a slight orange glow from the embers. The smoke curls around my face.

I sit here all alone in a dark room as the rest of the country sleeps. My thoughts haunt me and turn to beer. I walk to the refrigerator and pull out a can. The light from the fridge as I open it is stark and harsh. I squint from its bright glow. I shut the fridge and then sit in the dark again. I crack open the beer and take a drink and another and another. The effects of the alcohol soon start to calm my mind. It feels like butterflies in my stomach.

I am now on my fourth beer. I am feeling comfortably numb. Nature still rages outside my windows and each flash of lightning brightens the room in an instance. The rain pours in sheets and the pattering of it is a pervading noise. Here I sit all alone in the dark; one lonely man and his beer.

No comments: