Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Calm before the Storm

I awoke at just the right time this morning. It is 4:00 AM. The first rumbles of thunder can be heard off in the distance and flashes of lightning fill the sky. It is the calm before the storm. I do so much enjoy these moments in life.

Just now a train is traversing downtown West Point, Georgia. The lonesome wail of its horn echoes across the valley. I spent many a day in my childhood walking those tracks. I was obsessed with trains and still am. I once had quite a collection of photos of engines. I wonder what happened to all of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if mom had them in a box in the closet. I need to ask her.

Soon, the wind will pick up and the rain will start to fall as the squall line approaches. Lightning and thunder will fill the sky. I will go have one last pipe outside before the rain starts. Then, I will come in and enjoy one more cup of coffee as this great opera of nature plays outside my windows. This front will usher in our first freezing weather of the year. Winter finally arrives.

No comments: