Friday, June 12, 2009

More Woes for George's Car...

George pulled up at my house this morning as his car was making this God awful and extremely loud squealing noise.

"Turn off your air conditioner," I told him loudly as he rolled down his window. 

"What is it?" George asked.

"Your air conditioning compressor is locked up and the drive belt is slipping."

George said a variety of not so nice words and got out of his car.

"You are going to need a new compressor or a compressor clutch," I then told him.

I got worried that maybe my and George's little shade tree mechanics session the other day had ruined the compressor.   You need to add a lubricant when you put in the freon.  It usually comes in the can with the refrigerant.  Sometimes you have to add it separately for certain models of cars.

George left most likely wondering how he was going to get up the money for a new compressor.   I drove over to Fred's dollar store to look at their cans of freon.  It made me feel better when I read that the lubricant is added with the refrigerant.   

3 comments:

Annabel said...

That's the same problem with my car... it needs a new compressor clutch but the price for a new one is outrageous. I'm thinking of just trading in my car on a new car - if I can ever close on my house!

Sorry I haven't commented in a while... hopefully I'll start doing that more this summer.

Any chance of you coming up to Birmingham next week while I'm there??

Seth Martin Ward said...

In some ways, I am glad I don't have a car....in other ways, I wish I did have one....it's a whole new lifestyle. What do I do for transportation? I get rides from friends, rent cars or use public transportation. It sucks sometimes....especially riding greyhound, but it works....and I don't have the extra expense of paying for a car/repairs or polluting alot.....it's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Kathy said...

Whew! I bet you felt a lot better when you read that!!