Thursday, October 01, 2009

I sure hope there's pimento cheese in Heaven...

George came by with a food care package from his mother this afternoon.  In a plastic sack were all the things needed to make tomato and pimento cheese sandwiches.   I couldn't wait to eat and fixed a pimento cheese sandwich while George drank a beer.

"What is the secret to your mother's pimento cheese?" I asked George as I greedily consumed a sandwich.

"She puts a tablespoon of  Worcestershire sauce in it," George replied. "It's good isn't it?"

George told me he his looking for a 2nd job to make some extra money to buy a Honda Accord. 

"Deliver papers," I suggested.  "You can sleep in the morning and deliver in the afternoons."

"I was actually thinking about delivering pizza," George replied. "I heard the tips were good."

Either suggestion was a good one.  Mrs. Jones and I have both noticed an marked change in George.  He's drinking less.  He doesn't miss work.  The days of him being too drunk to stop by seemed to have passed.  I wish the best for my friend and hope he continues down this path.

6 comments:

~Christina~ said...

I like your newest Maggie photo. She is adorable. I also liked your beach background, whyd ya change it? its very peaceful....

Leann said...

I love the new background Andrew. It's very fit for the coming season.

It is good to hear that George is getting better. HOpefully as his situation continues to improve he will give up the bottle bit by bit.

Take care my friend and enjoy your day!

justLacey said...

I am happy to hear about George and his new changes too. Maybe he looked at your life and saw sobriety isn't that awful. Even in his worst moments, he's always checked in on you. He has been a good friend.

Cheryl said...

Great news about George. If you quit, he could do it too. Who knows?

I've never had a pimento sandwich. Am I really missing out?

KathyA said...

I love pimento cheese! And I'm REALLY pleased to hear of George's progress.

Lena said...

George doesn't know that all of us are rooting for him.