Monday, October 26, 2009

She's a Lady...

Last night Mrs. Florene called me.  Mainly about George, but then she asked me if I would take her to the grocery store, she would cook me a good supper.  I called dad and asked when he was bringing my medications and he said he was on the way.  Good. 

We went to the Piggly Wiggly and I followed Mrs. Jones around as she shopped.

"We're gonna have some cubed steak, rice and gravy, steamed broccoli, and biscuits," she told me. 

"Let's cook some Brussels' sprouts, too!" I told her.

She said she had cooked them only once in her life.

"I remember cooking them with butter and lemon," she said.

So that's what we did.  I also learned how to make true Southern sticky rice.  It was delicious with a heaping helping of steak gravy. 

Amazingly, the conversation didn't keep gravitating towards George.  We talked mainly about cooking and mine and her's favorite foods.   I told her I loved a ribeye, baked potato, and salad. 

"Too tough to chew for my dentures," she replied.

I smiled.  I bet it would be.  I left, drove home, and Maggie snuggled up on the couch with me which was odd for her.   She kept wanting me to scratch her back and her persistence was heart warming.  So, we spent a quiet evening watching TV and giving one way back scratches.  It was a good evening and I needed it. 

7 comments:

Joy Heather said...

I love ribeye steak too Andrew.. and Southern sticky rice sounds so good...is it a special kind of rice (like Jasmine,)or have you got a special way to actually cook the rice..anyway it all sounded great..glad you & Maggie had a relaxing evening.

Karen said...

Glad to hear you had a very nice day. :-)

Gary said...

Finally had a day you deserve!

forsythia said...

I will have to ask my Mississippi-born friend about "sticky rice." I'm happy that you have friends like Mrs. Florene and Maggie.

Leann said...

It's nice to hear you enjoyed yourself Andrew.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Ya know what, Andrew?

If you want compassion, all ya gotta do is talk to us! You know we love you unconditionally - and we don't care if you look a little rumpled! Some of us do too!

I hope the rest of your week is GREAT!

By the way - - can we see pictures of your trains???

Grannie

geelizzie said...

I would so shop at Piggly Wiggly if we had them here in California, just for the name of the store! We just have boringly named grocery stores like Vons and Save Mart. Blah. If I ever get to the south, I'm finding me a Piggly Wiggly!