Friday, October 09, 2009

The Heavens Shine Forth Upon George...

This morning I was outside trimming my shrubbery in the front of the house.   It is a task I loath, but it needed doing.  George came pulling up just as I was carrying a bunch debris out to the road.  He had the biggest smile upon his face.

"I won a thousand dollars on a scratch off ticket!"  George exclaimed as he climbed out of his car. 

"No shit?" I asked.

"No shit," George said. 

Me and him both were grinning vigorously.  George grew up in the school of hard knocks and it was nice to have something so fortuitous to happen.

"What are you going to buy?" I asked.

"I'm gonna spend it on my car," George replied.  "I want an alarm and a new stereo."

"You should give it to your mother,"  I said, playing the better angel of George's nature.

George just shrugged it off and went on and on about the windfall he had received.  I've always thought the lottery was a fool's errand, but have to admit I wanted to go and buy me a few tickets as well.   Dad plays religiously on the Big Game.  

"Don't drink it all up," I told George as he was leaving.

George got another big grin on his face and said, "There is gonna be a party tonight!"

Something's never change.

2 comments:

Leann said...

I hope he at least buys something nice for his mama. I've known people who win a windfall like that. I've just never been that lucky.

Take care Andrew and enjoy your evening.

Summer said...

That's a nice story. I do hope he gives some to his Mama. I bought a lottery ticket today. Hope springs eternal!