Friday, October 02, 2009

The Entrepreneur...

In a few weeks, my father's pharmacy will celebrate 30 years in serving the Valley.  Dad was telling me tonight that he couldn't believe he's been in business for so long and survived with entities like Wal-Mart and CVS getting an ever growing share of the market.   He is taking all his employees and pharmacists out to eat at a posh restaurant in Atlanta to celebrate.

"It's going to be nice," he told me. "You can come.  You're still an employee.  You're just on sabbatical."

We both laughed at the sabbatical part.

I looked over and mom was licking her lips in anticipation.

"Look," I said to dad.

"Your mother loves to eat out," dad replied.  

Mom smiled and went and got her a Little Debbie Swiss roll to eat.  Dad rolled his eyes.  He is worried about the amount of weight she has gained lately.   Her medications for her mental illnesses are renowned for causing extreme weight gain and diabetes.  

Dad has recently hired another pharmacist and this halves the amount of time he has to work.   Many afternoons he is home in his pajamas reading a book or cooking a favorite dessert from his mother's recipes.  It's nice.  Very nice.  And I am so deeply proud of my father and what he's been able to accomplish with his life.   

8 comments:

(M)ary said...

congratulations to your father on his achievements! i prefer locally owned businesses over the big chain stores.

justLacey said...

My family loves Swiss Cake Rolls. Me...not so much. Where are you going to dinner?

Karen said...

Congratulations to your dad!!

This IS The Fun Part! said...

How wonderful! It's really an accomplishment to last that long in this day and time! Congrats should go to your whole family and staff!

I, too favor the local family stores - you just can't beat the service and the warm family feel.

Grannie

Annabel said...

I love swiss cake rolls. I put them in the freezer and then have them with milk. Yummy!

KathyA said...

So happy for your dad and his accomplishments. And so sweet of him to treat all his employees to dinner. How far to Atlanta is it from where you are in Alabama?

becomingkate said...

30 years! That's wonderful. Loved this!

impromptublogger said...

Congrats to your Dad. My daughter is talking about pharmacy as a possible career. She is very good at science and math and it would be a good choice for her.