Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Journey into the Abyss...

George was working overtime this morning.  Mrs. Jones called me and asked me to take her to Wal-Mart so she could get a few things.   I was over at their house in 20 minutes ready to go.

Well, walking into Wal-Mart for me is like stepping into over-stimulation land.  The dizzying array of products.  The bustling people shopping.  The glaring monitors displaying Wal-Mart commercials.  The elderly greeter that says hello as you walk in.  My addled mind was spinning.

I followed Mrs. Jones as she toodled around with her shopping cart.  Our first stop was to get George some underwear and socks.  I smiled inwardly at this until I remembered mom recently bought me underwear and socks at Wal-Mart as well.  George and I are in the same boat it seems.  

Mrs. Jones was also on a quest for Bavarian style full fat buttermilk.  "You can only find it at Wal-Mart," she told me. "It makes the very best biscuits and cornbread."  Luckily, they had some and I bought a carton as well - eager to try it in my breakfast biscuits and cornbread next week.

Driving home Mrs. Jones handed me a twenty dollar bill.  "Thank you!" she said.  I unabashedly took it and put it in my shirt pocket.  Normally, I would refuse, but I needed the money and it made Mrs. Jones feel good to pay me.    

6 comments:

Leann said...

Mrs. Jones is fortunate that you are available to help her out. The home made biscuits sound heavenly. Gonna have to find a way to get them shipped from you to me without spoiling :-) Just kidding....kinda..LOL

Sophie said...

I just love it that Mrs. Jones has kind of adopted you as an extra son, Andrew, and that you are so kind in helping her when she asks. These shared outings are good for both of you. Now you've made me so hungry for fresh bisquits and cornbread! :-)

This IS The Fun Part! said...

This friendship is so good for both of you! You benefit from her "down home" mothering and she benefits from your respect of her position. It is very possible that time spent with her is as good for you as some of the therapy and pills you take! She shares her real world with you in a very calm and safe way.

The pleasure of doing shopping together, sharing her great breakfasts, etc. is just an added bonus!

And the $20 means you can buy your own regular Cokes!!

Grannie

KathyA said...

You and Mrs. Jones have such a wonderful relationship!

justLacey said...

I find Walmart gives me sensory over stimulation too. I try to go when it's the least crowded. Very early in the morning during the week.

Joy Heather said...

Everyone needs good friends...a lot of my friends are much older than me...but i never think of it as they can be such fun to be with..it sounds as if you are both good for each other, she must appreciate the lift and you must both enjoy the company..its nice that she gave you the money..shows how much she appreciates you Andrew...we dont have buttermilk or cornbread here..but buttermilk biscuits sound yummy.