Friday, March 04, 2005

A small town, country boy at heart……

Today’s quest reminded me of how much I love rural areas and living in a small town. We had to drive through Atlanta to get to our destination. As we drew closer and closer to the city the traffic grew more dense and frantic. It was very nerve racking and it soon became every man for himself. People would no longer yield to let you in or be polite in their driving habits. It brought back memories of my days driving a big rig. I had forgotten how shitty it can be to drive through large metropolitan areas.

We reached our destination which was in a busy area of an Atlanta suburb. I originally thought our quest had to do with Uncle Bob getting something taken care of with his car at his former residence. He actually needed to get his taxes done. He has been using this guy since 1976 and he gives Bob a $25 dollar discount (There are perfectly good tax people in our hometown and it cost $16 dollars to drive there and back).

I sat in the little tax office for two hours as they did Bob’s taxes. The highway outside the window was one of the busiest highways I have ever witnessed. Speeding cars, honking horns, and frantic drivers played a game of chaos outside the small window. Throngs of people frantically parked and debarked at the parking locations while never putting down their cellular phones. I grew very tense and uncomfortable. I felt like a fish out of water and longed for my quiet, little home town. I also needed solitude. Fortunately about the time my patience had worn out 86 year old Uncle Bob comes shuffling out of the office and says it is time to head home and go get a bite to eat.

Afterwards, we went to a little greasy spoon for a late lunch. Bob had fried perch, sweet potato soufflé, lima beans, and cornbread. I ordered a philly cheese steak sandwich and fries. We both washed our meals down with sweet ice tea. It was very good and only cost us a total of $11.50 plus tip. I offered to pay for mine but he insisted on paying and I was pleasantly surprised (Uncle Bob and Aunt Jessie are notoriously cheap and frugal).

After a long drive, we finally made it home. Uncle Bob was just overjoyed to be able to get out of the house and get away from Aunt Jessie for awhile as she can be very cantankerous. He offered to pay me $40 dollars for driving him up there but I refused.

“Come on Jonathon take the $40 dollars.” He said.

“No, you don’t owe me anything. That’s what families are for.” I replied.

“You sure? I feel I owe you something.” He said.

“You bought me lunch and that was enough.” I replied.

That really is what families are all about. Seeing about each other and doing things when sometimes you don’t feel like it. You have to make an effort especially when it comes to a very elderly and almost home bound relative. I took great satisfaction and had a good feeling in my heart after I had arrived home for my good deed of the day. I also told Uncle Bob that as soon as spring gets here in earnest that he was going fishing with me up at the lake. He was overjoyed to hear this and ask me several times if I meant it. I assured him I did. I hope to have a few stories of “Fishing with Bob” to write about this summer. Good day.

No comments: