Sunday, March 20, 2005

Seagulls from the gulf……

I went for a long walk this morning. I passed by dumpster diving Dan behind the Piggly Wiggly and he beckoned me over for a talk.

“Hey, how’s it going?” He asked.

“Oh, I am fine I guess.” I replied. “What did you find this morning?”

“I am getting old loaves of bread to feed the seagulls.” He said. “Do you want to ride over to the river and help me feed them?”

I thought for a moment and came to the conclusion, “Why not.”

“Sure, I would love to.” I said.

I got in his truck and we drove over to the liquor store parking lot next to the Chattahoochee River. Within minutes, hundreds of seagulls flocked around us. They follow the river up from the Gulf of Mexico. I watched as he threw out scraps of bread and they hungrily snapped them up. It is hard to describe. Seagulls were everywhere. It was this great mass of flapping white wings and squawking.

“Do you do this often?” I asked.

“I do it every morning. They know I am coming.” He replied.

I had a good time and it was interesting. Dan has a unique outlook on life and lots of tales to tell. He wanted to drive me home but I decided to walk. I walked across the bridge over the river and made my way home. It was just a few miles.

__________________________

On more mundane things…….

I managed to get all my laundry done, folded, and put up. Mom gave me a box of Gain detergent and I love how it makes my clothes smell. I do always end up with one errant sock that doesn’t make a pair though. Where in the hell do those socks go? I guess the washing machine or dryer eats them.

I cooked a wonderful breakfast of homemade pancakes. I also cooked a side of pork sausage. I just love breakfast and it is my biggest meal of the day. I washed it all down with a pot of fresh brewed coffee and a cold glass of orange juice.

Well, I think I will spend my day rereading Walden and enjoying my pipe. I need to study but don’t feel like fooling with school work. Weekends are meant for play and bliss and not toilsome study. I hope you all are having a good weekend and I send out good thoughts your way. Take care and take on the day.

No comments: