Wednesday, March 30, 2005

New Home Update…..

My new home is coming along nicely. The electricians did a slam bang job of putting in all new wiring, light fixtures, and power outlets. The total was $3500 dollars for the work. They also installed a new water heater. Charlie paid for all of this out of his pocket. He is a true and generous friend and I do not know how to repay him for this. He also paid to have brand new central heating and air installed.

Next is phase two and I need to get a laundry room and stairs added to back of the house for my washer and dryer. The washer and dryer are currently sitting in the basement. I think it will cost between $2000 to $3000 dollars. I will have to pay for this as Charlie has done enough. This means I will have to go down to the bank this week and try to secure a small loan. Luckily, I got Rachel off of all my credit so hopefully my credit report will look clean. The only thing is that I do not believe in using credit cards anymore and tore all of them up and cancelled them a long time ago. I pay cash only. I wonder if this will affect my ability to get a loan. I may have to get dad to co-sign like he did with my house.

Once the laundry room is built I only have one more addition to do and that is to re-carpet the whole house. The current carpet is this hideous dark green shag straight out of the seventies. I will try to add this cost into the loan. Then I will be able to move in. This has been a long and drawn out process but soon I will be a new homeowner. I will have the security and stability of owning my own home. It is a tiny house though but will be perfect for just me. The total cost of the house was just $35,000. It does have a very large back yard and I plan on having a grand garden next summer with a myriad of vegetables. I just need to learn how to can and use a pressure cooker before my great aunt gets to old to remember.

---------------------------------


Buying Bream and Bass……..

Last fall my father had our pond drained and a new, larger dam built at the southern end. It is about an acre in size and sits on a plot of 100 acres of woodland. It is now finally full of water after a very wet winter and water is flowing into the overflow drain. My father ordered 25,000 bream fingerlings and 10,000 bass fingerlings last week. I have to drive up to Dadeville, Alabama in Charlie’s old truck to go pick them up today and put them in the pond. I also have to bring a sample of water from the pond in a jar for them to test. They are also delivering 6 tons of lime to add to the water.

I am very excited about this prospect as I love to fish but it will probably be two years before the fish are hand sized and ready to catch. I am going to be in charge of feeding the fish once a week as well and will enjoy the long drive out into the country to do this.

No comments: