Thursday, March 10, 2005

Mr. Fruit Fly…….

I just got home from the Piggly Wiggly. The usual cadre of groupies were out there. Cap w/ Tag guy was standing next to the coke machine selling his usual wares of copious amounts of crack cocaine. He nodded his head hello and smiled at me as I have been irregular of late. He never says a word. I avoided Slop as I knew he would ask me for spare change and would want to catch up on old times.

A new guy who I will call Lurch is hanging out there now. I know him from a previous job. We both worked in the Martex towel warehouse. I drove a forklift putting up and pulling cases of towels. Lurch seemed to just walk the warehouse endlessly for nights on end. I never could figure out what he actually did for a job. I guess he finally retired from his patrolling duties. I call him Lurch because he looks just like Lurch from the Adam’s Family except he is black. He always wears a cotton knit hat pulled low over his ears and just above his eyes.

“What’s up homey?” Lurch called out to me standing next to a dilapidated old truck in the parking lot.

“Nothing much man.” I said. “You staying out of trouble?”

“Shit dawg. It ain’t a thang! It ain’t a thang!” He exclaimed.

What he meant by that I have no earthly idea. He talks so fast you can barely understand him. I just laughed and continued on into the store and purchased my bunch of bananas.

_____________________________

Fun with fruit flies…….

My biology lab today was interesting. We first did an experiment involving yeast and different test tubes of fructose, glucose, and sucrose (sugars). We then had to measure the amount of carbon dioxide given off by the yeast during the fermentation process. This is the same process whereas alcohol is produced. As expected, the glucose solution produces the best results.

Our next experiment was dealing with genetics. We were each given a vial with fruit flies and we had to anesthetize them and then study them under a dissecting microscope. I had to find a male and female with different characteristics to use in an experiment over the next few labs. I had to note their characteristics such as wing length, eye color, etc and start a log. Then over the next few weeks I am going to see how their offspring’s characteristics correlate to the parents. I find this stuff much more interesting than sitting in a lecture hall and taking notes.

No comments: