Saturday, March 05, 2005

Come take a hike with me….

I originally wanted to title this post “Now it’s time for me…..” but I changed it. It is time for me; time for me to escape into the wild unknowns for yet another night. My obligations are fulfilled. It is a beautiful day in the high seventies (high twenties Celsius) and not a cloud in the sky. It will also only get down into the fifties tonight so it will be perfect camping weather. Also, the biting insects have yet to make an appearance. I have a grand adventure planned and plotted out.

Just a moment ago I drove down to Little Sarge’s Army and Navy surplus store. I was looking for MREs (military speak for meals ready to eat) for tonight as I wanted a change of pace from the freeze dried meals. Fortunately, Little Sarge had a surplus of them after this past fall’s hunting season. I got six for $19.95. A damn good bargain as these things can get expensive. These are complete meals which contain an entrée, one snack/desert item, crackers with spread and an accessory pack with coffee, sweetener, salt, pepper, wet wipe, matches, and a spoon. These things have a shelf life of three years and are self heating. I plan on eating well tonight and with ease and little preparation or trouble. The only problem with MREs is the pack weight and the amount of trash you have to pack out of the camping area.

I also drove by the liquor store and purchased a pint of southern comfort. I looked at many options but I always come back to my favorite camping standby ye olde southern comfort. It is sweet enough to be enticing and yet not so strong as to be too harsh without a chaser. I shall imbibe with gusto.

I just have this longing to escape and want peace and quiet. The hustle and bustle of our modern world has been weighing heavily upon my shoulders. I am tired of meaningless conversations. I am tired of running around frantically to fulfill obligations. I am tired of people constantly yakking on their cell phones. I want the only sounds to be of my little radio, wildlife, the wind in the trees, and the crackle of a good fire. I want a slower pace of existence for a few days.

Well, let me go take a shower, don my backpack, and head out. I have a long but beautiful hike into the country awaiting me. I cannot express how beautiful a day it is in words. Perfect for what I have planned and I shall go enjoy myself to the fullest.

No comments: