Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Casting off my shackles…..

I’ve had enough studying for a lifetime. No more studying for me. My eyes are burning. My brain is filled to capacity. The big day is tomorrow. My professor assures us this the big hump and then it is all down hill from here. I was so tired tonight that I didn’t want to go to my English class but I made myself go. I had this hunch and it paid off. He gave us a daily quiz on the material that we were supposed to read. Good thing I went. The class was sparingly empty tonight though. He gave us a lecture on the importance of attending class. I am glad I wasn’t one of those “evil” class skipping fiends. 

Tonight, I went by the Piggly Wiggly to buy a half gallon of milk. I was almost out and I love it in my coffee. Guess who I saw? Good old George. He was wearing a Sunday suit and had just come back from his Wednesday night service. He looked like a new man and was clean shaven and his eyes didn’t have that yellow/red pall from his drinking days. He held out his hand for me to shake and he didn’t ask for a beer.

“Good to see you my friend.” I said as I shook his hand.

“I done found religion. Been goin’ with momma.” He said.

“Good for you man. Whatever works for you is what you do.” I replied.

“Hey, do ya want to come this Sunday with me?” He asked.

I could just picture a white guy going to a black church and the glaring stares he would get as he walked down the aisle to sit in his pew. Religion is still extremely segregated here in the south. I respect George’s new beliefs but just don’t get into religion. I choose to abstain.

“Thanks man but I don’t get into church.” I replied.

“Well, anytime you want to go just call me. The Lord can have a powerful affect on your life.” He said and handed me one of his new cab service cards.

I told him how good he looks and told him to take care. We said our goodbyes and I walked to the car and drove home. On the drive home I thought about my future days when I may become a social worker. I wanted to tell George that he himself got himself straightened out and not religion but I thought that would be callous. There will be times in my new career were I will have clients that are religious and may need religion and I should not let my own personal biases interfere in me giving them help and care. If it works for you then let it work. I wish George the best and hopes that this is not some aberration but a lasting change. I am off to crawl into my warm, waiting, and much needed bed. Good night.

No comments: