Saturday, March 19, 2005

Excited as can be!!!!!

Well, this time next week I will have a new/used car! Yesterday, I had a session with my therapist in Opelika, Alabama and then I and mom drove the hour up to Lagrange, Georgia get her car. Dad wanted it serviced so it would be in tip top shape when I got it. He got the brakes, radiator, transmission, the 4WD differentials all serviced and had their fluids changed. He also got the air filter and oil changed and gave it a full tune up. It cost him $650 dollars in total. I was so greatly appreciative of him doing this. It was very kind and thoughtful.

I called him this morning about the cost of the vehicle and what budget I had worked out since I will be working more this summer.

“Don’t worry about all that.” He said. “You save that money and put it into your house and your emergency fund.”

“What do you mean?” I asked perplexed.

“I am giving you the car. I and your mother both just want you have safe transportation for school. Your current car worries me everyday that you will break down or have an accident.” He replied. “I did the same for your brother and sister and there are no strings attached. I just want you to continue taking your medicine.”

I was flabbergasted. I almost didn’t believe it. This was too good to be true. This is a very, very nice car. A 2000 model Honda CRV EX 4X4 mini SUV. It only has what I believe is 69,000 miles on it.

I will know be free to travel some and not be stuck at home all the time. I just worry about how much gas this car will use as it is much larger car than my little piece of junk.

______________________________________________


The therapist……

I was very apprehensive about going to the therapist. What would I say? How would I react? In real life I am a very introverted person and don’t like to take about my problems. The more we talked the more comfortable I became and started to open up.

We talked a lot of about my dark, dark early days in my twenties during the onset of schizophrenia and discussed what I did to survive. We also discussed my very painful divorce, the aftermath, and my homelessness. The therapist was amazed that I was once homeless so that goes to show you that the stereotypes of homeless people are often inaccurate.

No comments: