Sunday, September 04, 2005

Bright Lights in the Dark Night

I was sitting here at my computer in the dark. The neighbor’s dog was barking at some unforeseen threat as the last katydids of summer were calling. I was browsing the blogs I love to read, but weekends are lean times for blogging. A car pulled up in the driveway. The bright lights of its headlights illuminated my dark environ. I heard a car door shut and soon someone knocked upon my back door. I got up and opened the door expecting family or Charlie. It was my ex-wife Rachel.

“Can I come in for a moment?” She asked as she held Otis (our Boston terrier) by his leash.

I opened the door fully and Otis came rushing in as he tore the leash from Rachel’s hands. I sat down on the floor to greet him. I haven’t seen him for months. Rachel took off his leash.

“Hey, little man!” I said as he licked me upon the face as I held him. “It is so good to see you!”

Otis was just ecstatic to see me and I felt as if I had rediscovered a friend long lost.

“Thank you for bringing him by,” I told Rachel. “I have missed him so much.”

“Well, he loves you and you will always be his daddy,” She replied.

“Have a seat,” I said as I stood up and motioned her towards a chair.

I sat down beside Rachel as Otis furiously explored my apartment. He sniffed and searched every crook and cranny.

“It’s been a long time,” Rachel said.

“Yeah, it’s been awhile, hasn’t it?” I replied.

“You look good,” She said. “Your legs look so muscular. Have you been lifting weights?”

“No weights,” I replied. “Just hiking every day.”

“You were always obsessed about that,” Rachel replied.

There was a quiet moment as we both sat there at a loss for words.

“You know I have always loved you,” Rachel said breaking the silence.

“I love you too, Ray,” I said. “We just can’t live together though.”
“Do you ever see us getting back together?” She asked. “I think of you all the time.”

“I don’t know,” I replied. “So much would have to change.”

Rachel started to cry. Tears rolled down upon her cheeks.

“Come here,” I said as I stood up. “Please don’t cry.”

She stood up and I held her in my arms. I wiped the tears off her cheeks.

“I have tried everything,” She said. “eharmony, match.com, yahoo.. I can’t find anybody who wants me. I am just going to be this crazy librarian who is lonely and owns lots of dogs and cats.”

“Shhhhh,” I replied. “You will find somebody. It just takes time.”

“Do you still love me?” She asked.

“Rachel, I will always love you,” I replied. “You will always hold a special place in my heart.”

She held me tightly and sniffled from her stuffy nose and her tears.

“You just stay with me tonight, okay?” I said.

“You don’t mind?” She asked. “I thought you hated me.”

“I don’t hate you,” I replied. “You go get in the bed and get Otis in there with you. You two don’t have to be alone tonight.”

“I still love you so much,” She said as she held me closely.

“I know, doll,” I replied. “Every thing is going to be okay.”

Rachel and Otis are now sound asleep in my little twin bed. I hope we can all fit in it. I know some of my long time blog readers will berate me for doing this, but it will be so nice not to sleep alone tonight. I want to feel a woman next to me even if it is my ex-wife that has caused me so much contention. I may wake up tomorrow morning and regret this though. I am going to cast all cares into the wind for the moment.

No comments: